Horrible sound of BB7 brakes

TriаlsRider

when pads are new,ride down a hill while braking in intervals,like 2 seconds pulling the brake,5 seconds cooling.

do this like 30 times,then go down the hill full speed and keep pulling the brake with increasing hand force until you are nearly stopping.

repeat the last step if necessary,but remind yourself of letting the brake cool down in between

if pads arent bedded in they dont touch the rotor with the full surface,like there are tiny mountains on them.you have to "grind" down those imperfections to get the full braking surface

Edited by FamilyBiker

I get that noise on my hopes and i also had it on my elixirs. I keep my bike in the garage and the damp gets to the brakes and they squeeel. it also happens on my mtb which has avid XO's which have recently been serviced and new pads bedded in by the local bike shop etc . If I do some practice in the garage on pallets, I take the bike out and warm up the brakes, like you would if you were bedding in new pads. And when its really damp, frustratingly, after the brakes are warmed I get started in the garage and the noise is back. :bow: So i crank up the volume on my mp3 and booogie. :wink2:.

I get that noise on my hopes and i also had it on my elixirs. I keep my bike in the garage and the damp gets to the brakes and they squeeel. it also happens on my mtb which has avid XO's which have recently been serviced and new pads bedded in by the local bike shop etc . If I do some practice in the garage on pallets, I take the bike out and warm up the brakes, like you would if you were bedding in new pads. And when its really damp, frustratingly, after the brakes are warmed I get started in the garage and the noise is back. :bow: So i crank up the volume on my mp3 and booogie. :wink2:.

That's contamination. New pads and rotors is the only 100% cure.

If its anything oil based, there will be dark spots on the pads after you have sanded them. You won't be able to see it on the disk surface as it'll be ingrained in to it. As Adam says, new disk and pads is the only 100% effective solution

That's contamination. New pads and rotors is the only 100% cure.

I disagree. I had new BB7s and they did the same the first time I rode them. Then I removed the pads and saw that they were very dirty. But still, even after cleaning them they made horrible noise and from what I can tell, BB7s are never quiet using the stock pads. I recommend Avid organic pads that come with the BB7 RSL. They are cheap, quiet even in wet conditions and they break very well.

If its anything oil based, there will be dark spots on the pads after you have sanded them. You won't be able to see it on the disk surface as it'll be ingrained in to it. As Adam says, new disk and pads is the only 100% effective solution

Why would you have to buy new rotors when the pads are contaminated? You can clean the rotors with Acetone e voila.

I don't want to get into a discussion about changing disks and pads etc. However I'm not convinced that my pads and rotors are contaminated, i won't bore you with why i think that, however, this evening i did a little experiment.Firstly I bled the front brake to see if i could contaminate it, secondly I did a 45 min session in the street outside my house and guess what, no squeaking!

Thirdly, within ten mins on the pallets inside the garage, you guessed it back to squeaks city.

Is it do with the fact when your inside riding it gets a bit humid so moisture builds up on the pads/rotor and that's why it makes a sound? Similar to the noise discs make when there is water on them? I'm no expert on disc brakes as I never use them but could play a factor possibly ?

Adam.