Bottom Bracket Axle Slop

wholelottabonzo

Hi,

Having been out the game for a while, my new bike has a different BB to what I was used to.

It has what looks to be two external bearing cups which screw into the frame with a through axle? Anyways however it works, it looks as though the two cranks are joined to a seperate axle through the frame as opposed to the old sealed square taper jobbies. If I stand over the bike as if I'm in the riding position, there is a bit of play left to right as if i can move the axle back and fourth ~1 to 2 mm through the frame...

Is this normal?? Doesn't feel great as when I'm riding and the load changes from side to side, it knocks.

It's worth saying that I have checked and the cranks are tight onto the axle and the knocking isn't coming from there.

I don't have the right tool to remove the bearing cups but I can get hold of one if I need to.

:huh:

What frame/bottom bracket is it? Sounds like you might just need a spacer inside one of the cups to take up the play. I know the Truvativ BB I have is the same style and you need to tighten the cranks up so they clamp it all together but not too tight so as to make the whole thing stiff!

If they're the newer-style Truvativ Holzfeller cranks, sometimes you just need to basically rag the shit out of the crank bolts. For some reason, they seem to have a really high recommended torque for the crank bolts in order to keep the BB tight, so it may be worth getting hold of a torque wrench and seeing what you're actually doing them up to.

• Like 1

What frame/bottom bracket is it? Sounds like you might just need a spacer inside one of the cups to take up the play. I know the Truvativ BB I have is the same style and you need to tighten the cranks up so they clamp it all together but not too tight so as to make the whole thing stiff!

I had to do this on my Dr Jekyll frame, it needed two on the drive side and one on the none drive side. I was doing the crank bolts up until basically I had no muscle power left, which is bloody tight.