Help Hopping on the Rear Wheel

I can just say it again: Use pedal kicks to push the rear wheel foreward and get it underneath you. You'll be doing that later anyways, so why not start learning it like that from the beginning on?

It might seem to be more difficult when you start trying it but once you begin to understand the technique, it will be way easier, trust me :)

A good way to learn is to put the front wheel on an object, about 1 1/2 feet high. Once your stable, lean back to take the front wheel off the object, then start your hops. Do it in different ways to find the most comfortable place, mines more of position with the bike quite upright, high front wheel. Some people prefer it quite low to the ground. We can't stress this enough though- PRACTICE. Do different techniques as much as you can. It takes different times for different people. Don't be put off when people say "oh I learnt it in a week" it varies between people. As for pedal kicks, I learnt them by accident as I was rolling along, and almost hit a dog turd, stamped on the pedals and jumped over it, instinctively pulling the rear brake as I landed. By the end if the day pedal kicks felt natural.

The problem will be your not leaning back or the bikes not upright enough. The balance point is a lot further back than you think. I learned by putting my front wheel on a bench locking both brakes then learning to keep the bike upright by hopping. Then I moved to pulling the front wheel off the bench and hopping backwards till I learned to hop back and hop on the spot. Then moved to pedal strokes.

Practice and loose the fear. It's the fear that holds everyone back...

• Like 1

Get a chicken and wait till the next full moon. Take said chicken and sacrifice it at exactly midnight. Pray to all the gods for them to give you the ability to do back hops. Hey presto you'll be able to do back hops. Thats how I learnt anyway.

• Like 1

Get a chicken and wait till the next full moon. Take said chicken and sacrifice it at exactly midnight. Pray to all the gods for them to give you the ability to do back hops. Hey presto you'll be able to do back hops. Thats how I learnt anyway.

In here you pluck a black chicken near a creek and follow one of the feathers upstream to meet your master sitting on a rock, you offer him your shins and he trades back the ability to hop on the rear wheel.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haha go for less hops and more time! Smaller quicker hops.... and watch some pro riders (like "uci trials super finals" on YouTube) they stand up nearly straight with the bike close to their hips. Then get yourself in front of a video camera and compare. That's how I learned

In here you pluck a black chicken near a creek and follow one of the feathers upstream to meet your master sitting on a rock, you offer him your shins and he trades back the ability to hop on the rear wheel.

Amazing post haha my shins have scars all over! just keep practicing it'll click in the end.

It really does! it took me forever (8+ months) but in the end it's worth it, you realize the joy of being able to become a super amazing rear wheel hopper.

Then you see that it really is one of the easiest techniques in trials.