technique vs fitness

Tomas

Hi all. Starting to ride again with a zoo lynx. Did some trials in 1999 or so. I'm 43y and reasonably fit. Question is: how much of trials is ride4 technique and bike and how much is rider fitness, strength, power and agility? Of course there is alot of balancing in trials but say for a pure max effort sidehop, how much is technique and how much is pure leg and back power? Pro volley and basket play probably can jump up to about a meter. How about pro trials riders?

It varies from rider to rider. Some have flawless technique and use relatively little strength, some have absolutely no technique whatsoever and rely solely on brute force and hope (such as myself :lol: ).

hahaha that's a good one.

I think that no matter how strong you are, you still need some decent technique because you still have to apply the strength into "something" in order to make the jump possible.

If you were to apply the strength too soon or too late or in another direction then the jump won't happen, a faceplant might happen though.

hahaha that's a good one.

I think that no matter how strong you are, you still need some decent technique because you still have to apply the strength into "something" in order to make the jump possible.

If you were to apply the strength too soon or too late or in another direction then the jump won't happen, a faceplant might happen though.

Sure - I was exaggerating a bit to make my point :P

Everyone that can get up a certain wall will have at least the bare minimum of technique required, but some ONLY have the minimum and use power for the rest of it, where others use much less power with better technique.

A very few lie at the extremes of the continuum, but most lie somewhere between the two.

I think you wanna be light and flexible more than anything, strength's not really a big issue unless you rely on it to make up for lack of technique, or if you have both in excess and make the absolute most of it (Damon, TRA). Free running's probably one of the best bases you could have.

Edited by LEON

Thanks for all your responses. Really hope I can make up for my lack of jumping ability by learning the correct technique. Has always been bad at jumping, can only do like 20-30 cm right now. What do you guys besides riding? I have been a rock climber for the last 20 year and started kitesurfing 3 years ago. Also do some strength training.

Thanks for all your responses. Really hope I can make up for my lack of jumping ability by learning the correct technique. Has always been bad at jumping, can only do like 20-30 cm right now. What do you guys besides riding? I have been a rock climber for the last 20 year and started kitesurfing 3 years ago. Also do some strength training.

Bodybuilding and ping pong (weird combination).

70 % technique 30% power for everything up to bar height...... above that and the bias starts to change in my opinion :)

I think after bar height it's a matter of proper technique in everything and proper application of the strength; I'm a little bit above bar height and my technique is dreadful.