Computer Question (for clueless idiot)

Jolfa

I've just shagged my laptop taking it to bits, f**k knows what I disturbed but now the power button does nothing.

So, if I buy a laptop same brand, same age, same Windows, same everything and put my old hard drive from the broken laptop in it, will it just work and have all my old shit on it? Or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Otherwise does this do what it says it should? Literally just use old hard drive as an external (just to get the shit off it at least)?

Keep it simple, I am absolutely hopeless at computers!

Edited by Jolfa

Almost guaranteed it's a quick and easy fix, the power buttons are normally connected to the motherboard by a flat ribbon cable. If you inadvertently pull on the ribbon cable it's very easy to pull it from the socket on the motherboard.

Strip the machine until you find the power button ribbon and check the connection. The socket usually has a tiny pivoting flap or sliding bar that locks the ribbon in, if this has become dislodged then it won't make a connection.

What laptop is it? I had exactly the same problem on Monday with a work colleagues laptop, I replaced the keyboard for him and had no power after I had put it back together; that was an hp pavilion g6 iirc.

Failing that you can in theory just plug the old hard disk into a new laptop but you will need to sort out drivers to make the old windows install communicate with the new hardware. It's analogous to doing a engine swap and having to sort out the loom and ecu :)

Urgh, looms and ecus :(

Funnily enough it is an HP Pavilion G6, do you reckon dicky ribbon? I couldn't see anything wrong or dislodged, but then again I didn't manage to strip it down fully, something holding the keyboard on in the middle (assumed hidden screw behind a letter, now I've shagged the keyboard too :lol::( ) I should leave computers alone...

You need to employ a local kitten I'm afraid, their services don't come cheap though, cost me 50 quid :(

If you are of the non-dextrous meat shovel hand variety of homosapiens, then tweezers and a small flat blade screwdriver is best option :)

New keyboard can be had for a tenner off amazon. I had the same problem, centre of the keyboard was held by a screw that I has missed and I was following the wrong youtube video showing that you need to remove the entire top bezel to remove the keyboard. By pulling on the top bezel to try to remove it, it undoes the flip catch and disconnects you power switch :D

It is mend! Although the keyboard is now completely dead, but I've been using a USB keyboard for months anyway as the G, H, ,, ' and backspace keys don't work on the actual built in one :P

And yeah, tweezers did the trick :P

Thankyou!