Brake problems help!!!

Cooper01t

I just wondered if any one could help me 

recently I got my magura hs33 brakes Bled by a shop and they told me that the brake still isn't working very well :(, brilliant, you have to pull the brake in pretty hard to get any sort of grip but I don't trust it at all what could I do to make it hold the wheel better and actually lock the wheel without pulling the lever in so hard

any sort of input will be appreciated :) 

Edited by Cooper01t

Thanks a lot so would this stop me having to pull the lever almost completely in for the wheel to lock?

This depends on the setup. If your current brake pads are used and gotten thin then yes, new pads with new setup will stop that problem.

You could fix it right now by screwing the TPA in from the leaver (the red thingy on leaver blade).

What is the problem is it that it is spongy or it doesn't hold ? To elaborate:

If you go out riding and when you press the lever it is hard but the wheel slips, it is a pad/rim problem. You'll need a grind, and if you have been riding in the rain you need pads that work well when wet.

If the lever is spongy and goes all the way in even though the pads made contact it is a bleed problem. Maguras are pretty hard when bled properly (minus the flex in the frame).

The other issue is your pads may be setup too far away from the rim and are barely making contact, so move them closer, they should be about the thickness of a 1p coin away. If you wheel is bent this will be hard to do. Get a spoke key.

Look for leaks, and check where tpa is, it should have been wound all the way out for bleeding.

Take some pics of the setup if you still have trouble.

They're making contact but the lever is spongy the bloke in the shop did say to me that because the brakes had been bled with water (previous owner) the seals had been damaged Which is causing the brake to not function properly I actually didn't believe him at the time because all he kept saying about was putting a whole new hs33 on the bike so just thought he wanted the money for the new brake to be honest

probably tpa is knackered of there is dust, a kink maybe? (or something) blocking the oil flow. do you pull the lever in and it comes very close to the handlebars? also ignore anyone whos blabering on about rims and pads, its the mechanism of the brake you wanna sort out first :) 

However, if there is virtually no pad left or you're Slave is far away from the rim then it obviously wont bite or hold but thats common sense.

Edited by JJ Leigh

They're making contact but the lever is spongy the bloke in the shop did say to me that because the brakes had been bled with water (previous owner) the seals had been damaged Which is causing the brake to not function properly I actually didn't believe him at the time because all he kept saying about was putting a whole new hs33 on the bike so just thought he wanted the money for the new brake to be honest

And you found the other problem besides the pads. If the brake was water bled before and wasn't serviced properly then the easiest way is to just get a proper, working brake..

This sounds like part of the problem also, bleeding with water won't affect the seals like that. It'll probably need bleeding properly, maguras seem to be a bit of a minefield when it comes to regular bike shops nowadays as most don't ever seem to deal with them (my cousin has a drawer full of magura fittings and spares he said I'm welcome to anytime as he literally never ises them) but then I'd still get some new pads to compliment it. If you look on YouTube there's a guide to water bleeding brakes somewhere (anyone care to link as I'm on my phone?) or I'm sure Tarty bikes have a guide on their site. 

There is a lot of pad left I did check that how would I go about checking the tpa to see if it's functioning properly? 

just turn it and watch the pads they should move in and out a tiny bit, also squeezing the lever after adjusting it see if it feels different. Sometimes tpas just get stuck and don't turn at all.

the tpa just adjusts the pads position, you can just move the slaves in the clamps too. so if it is spongy, its not just the tpas fault.

maybe try a water bleed?

Edited by ooo