Video Tutorial on the Bare Basics

Max F

I made a Tutorial on five of the most essential trials skills. My goal was to make it as simple and effective as possible, so every biker, no matter if they just want to learn some trials or really get into it, can learn them from scratch.
Here you go:

Techniques in this video:

1. Trackstand
2. Front Pivot
3. Rear Pivot
4. Lateral Hops
5. Rocking

Have fun :)

Edited by Max F
  • Like 1

I've recently started learning trials techniques, and found this video really helpful.

I really liked the other videos on your channel as well. Although waaaaay beyond my abilities at the moment, following along as you learn a new skill and then getting your thoughts afterwards was really interesting and helpful.

Have subscribed in hope of seeing more soon!

• Like 1

On 25.10.2018 at 4:06 PM, George Launchbury said:

I've recently started learning trials techniques, and found this video really helpful.

I really liked the other videos on your channel as well. Although waaaaay beyond my abilities at the moment, following along as you learn a new skill and then getting your thoughts afterwards was really interesting and helpful.

Have subscribed in hope of seeing more soon!

Thanks George!
Anything that you think could make future tutorials more helpful?
Or any techniques you think should be in them?

Edited by Max F

Could do with some body tip cues for trackstand. Guessing I should aim for a fairly natural body position...  Stand tall rather than bent over? Not too forward or too backward? Slightly bent legs?

I mostly practice trackstand on an incline, and would quite like to fakie out of it. Any tips on this?

Edited by marg26
cues not queues!

22 hours ago, marg26 said:

Could do with some body tip queues for trackstand. Guessing I should aim for a fairly natural body position...  Stand tall rather than bent over? Not too forward or too backward? Slightly bent legs?

I mostly practice trackstand on an incline, and would quite like to fakie out of it. Any tips on this?

The body position should settle into the right spot with enough practice, just stay relaxed. I think it's rather upright, looking down (at least for learning), head over the stem/bars.  I've never focussed on my position, just the balance.  For true trackstand mastery, there's more to it than just rolling back and forth - in many actual trials riding situations you're going to shift your body back/forth/left/right in addition to moving the bike, but that's advanced and will come automatically once you've spent some time trackstanding.

It took me personally quite a lot of fakie experience until I was able to fakie out of a trackstand.  What makes it so hard is that you're going really slowly, where it's hard to balance a fakie, so you need to lean just right to pull it straight, and then you get faster, which changes the body position you need to be in to balance the fakie.

I need to make a video about fakies, because they're actually more complex than you'd think.

Edited by Max F

On 27/10/2018 at 1:57 AM, Max F said:

Thanks George!
Anything that you think could make future tutorials more helpful?
Or any techniques you think should be in them?

Hi Max,

Actually, what marg26 mentioned has been on my mind; more about trackstands* and learning to fakie out of trackstands - then fakie out after a front wheel pivot when getting nearer to 180.

* I can see they're fundamentally important, but generally seem to get kind of skimmed over because they're so dull. Maybe they just need to be grasped on a general level, and then you just get to practice them alongside whatever you're working on?

Also been wondering about proper use of brakes, to build good habits - maybe a video covering any 'rules' for when you should/shouldn't use your brakes? For example, should I leave the rear brake off when doing a front wheel pivot, and leave the front brake off when doing a rear wheel pivot, or better to lock up all the brakes when possible, or really doesn't matter and I'm overthinking it!!

Maybe any other things it's good to start doing a certain way/practice both sides/directions from the very start to avoid bad habits later, even if it makes for slightly slower learning early on. For example, do I only really need to learn to fakie out one direction? Do I need to learn 180/360 hops in both directions? Bunnyhops with either foot forward? Goes both ways - if there's really no reason for being ambidextrous for street trials (as opposed to pure trials where you seem to need skills for every situation thrown at you) since you choose the lines, it would save a lot of time learning things only one way!?

Going to stop there, as I feel I'm going down the rabbit hole... :o)

Definitely would like to see more of the videos where you learn something new for yourself. I think it's a fresher perspective than someone teaching something they've been doing for years and will have forgotten some of the important tips/features. I also like that about Mike Boyd's stuff. Do you think this format works for teaching someone else the basics, to throw up real-world problems and solutions? I've seen some BMX videos like that, and were very interesting, but not trials (I don't think).

Cheers, George.

• 11 months later...