Trail Trials Bike: What Bashguard?

Shadytree

I am putting together a short travel dual suspension bike for trail riding & trialsy stuff. I have an 11-24 cassette with a 30 tooth chainring. Apparently aluminum bash guards have fallen out of style because I can't find a decently stout one. There are plastic ones, 5mm aluminum ones & ISCG mount ones. I can be kind of heavy on the bash guard sometimes. Which is best? Thanks.

Okay, I would say you should probably go for a ISCG one if your running 30t. I always think that the plastic ones will just break and an alluminium one would look pretty dinner plate like at that size unless you get one of the half and half type ones.

Out of interest, how does it ride on trials stuff? I wouldn’t have thought a 4x bike would suit it but I’d be interested to know.

Not sure I'd be happy using the ISCG mounts if you're planning to use a bash 'in anger'... What about something like the Hope 1-4 for a 32T? You effectively get two for the price of one (ish, they're not exactly cheap in the first place) assuming you tend to always ride with one foot forward. Sounds like an interesting build!

Edit: I remember my Ring God being pretty burly (polycarbonate I think but chunky). You'd have to check if 130mm diameter is big enough but could be an option? eBay link.