Tips or tricks for a +20 post mount adapter

Swoofty

Anyone have some sage advice for dealing with +20 post mount adapters? Mine's on the front to make things worse. It's so hard to align the caliper with so much play due to the adapter. I've tried zip ties or clamps to hold the adapter while I try to align the caliper, but it's such a pain. I might need to drill my magura and add adjustment set screws like I did in my Hayes A4 vid. Anyone know a better way? 

PXL_20220313_205223890.jpg

You're missing the conical washers beneath the bolt heads (same as those behind v-brake pads). Absolutely vital on an inline PM adapter, due to the adapter face not being 100% parallel to the fork/frame mount. Try it with those (and some very long bolts, they all should've come with the adapter) and you should have no issues.

Edited by Daan
spelling
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 11:16 PM, Daan said:

You're missing the conical washers beneath the bolt heads (same as those behind v-brake pads). Absolutely vital on an inline PM adapter, due to the adapter face not being 100% parallel to the fork/frame mount. Try it with those (and some very long bolts, they all should've come with the adapter) and you should have no issues.

The mount's been faced and no way I'm using conical washers. That would make it harder to set up, guaranteed. I finally decided to tinker with it again yesterday and after four tries I got it perfectly centered; for now.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, Bigman said:

There are some bolt on +20 mounts, I think they are made by Trickstuff. 

They allow you to bolt the adapter on and then use separate caliper bolts like alot of plus 40 adapters. 

Trickstuff's site is down and I looked all over Bike24, but couldn't find a +20 that uses 4 bolts. That would be ideal, but I've never seen one.

Thank you both for not suggesting that I go to a 180 rotor... ;-)

5 hours ago, Swoofty said:

The mount's been faced and no way I'm using conical washers. That would make it harder to set up, guaranteed. I finally decided to tinker with it again yesterday and after four tries I got it perfectly centered; for now.

Trickstuff's site is down and I looked all over Bike24, but couldn't find a +20 that uses 4 bolts. That would be ideal, but I've never seen one.

Thank you both for not suggesting that I go to a 180 rotor... ;-)

It's not about the mount being faced, it's about the adapter not being parallel to the mount. It has a slight angle by design, you can see it in your picture. It needs those washers, as the bolt head is not perpendicular to the adapter face. Otherwise something will break very quickly with the stresses put on, and as you've experienced, also makes it hard to setup.

But I reckon you're a stubborn man, so try Hope, they make a four bolt +20 mm adapter as well :P.

Edit, for clarification's sake, this is what it should look like, conical washers between bolt head and caliper to allow for that angle without additional stresses:

img_20200510_133529-jpg.30822

Edited by Daan
  • Like 3