Finally, a stock I fit on properly

aener

I loved the Cannibal for a lot of things, but it was still too big for me, and too squeaky. Finally got myself into a position to do something about it.
Big thanks to Trialtech for some parts, Tarty for some other parts and a few tools, Tom for other other parts, Adam for the tube bender, and Dan's Dad for the welder.
It appears my scrounging game is strong at the minute.

keira1.thumb.JPG.b729b2a6fff91494ee814e645d668366.JPG

keira2.thumb.JPG.b4366f1d359b005a229d03395db367eb.JPG

keira3.thumb.JPG.31241efd23d3a4cd4ef923f995c985e6.JPG

Edited by aener
  • Like 11

I've had a couple and had some weird teething issues with the brakes. They were pulling in and sticking on, like a rim brake with too much tar. Such unusual ones that it's a freak one-off rather than an issue with BB5s.
Then I found out those cheap rotors just were NOT good enough. Landed a gap that was a bit of a stretch for me, and the rotor completely crumpled in on itself from too much torque. Fortunately, Halfords came to the rescue with a pair of SLXs mid-ride.

It feels bloody lovely. Only downside so far is weight. It's not crazy, going from a 9.6kg bike to 11kg, I can really feel it. Mostly only when trying to go big.

The rear wheel is slammed at 370, but I'm having serious thoughts about just going for it and filing the dropouts a bit more to get down to 365. I just want a few rides on it to scope it out first.
Edit: I need to pull it all apart to put some lacquer on it very soon anyway, so I might do it then.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

370 (soon to be 365, probably), +40, 680, 73.75 (:lol:), and I have to confess I haven't actually measured the wheelbase. I think it should be somewhere around the 1045 mark with that head angle.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

Could perhaps have been the tiny pads on the BB5s getting stuck into the huge holes in the previous rotors? Not sure if its still doing the same with the Shimanos...

If you can't be arsed lacquering the frame, a wipe down with an oily rag, WD40, etc does a good enough job of keeping rust at bay. I did a full winter of MTB on mine and it came back 'good as new' with a bit of wire wool afterwards. You do lose the nicely coloured heat zones around the welds though.

Awesome to see it built fully and I hope you love it, top work!

44 minutes ago, AdamR28 said:

Could perhaps have been the tiny pads on the BB5s getting stuck into the huge holes in the previous rotors?

That was my thought before the rotor died - it still did it on the Shimanos. Seems to be working now though so fingers crossed! Both the bite and hold are also SIGNIFICANTLY better on the Shimanos. It's almost like they did some actual R&D or something...

Thanks all :D

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...