Atomz Premier 26"

COSpirit

Hello there,

I've just built my first trial bike, a 26 inch Atomz premier. I'm a 17 years old French rider and I use to ride MTB and road bike. But seeing Ali Clarkson's videos make me want to go into trial biking.

So here it is, the cheapest bike I've ever built !

It's an Atomz Premier alloy frame with a cromo fork. Stock, the rear brake mounts are HS33, but I've made 2 adapters to go with V brakes, I don't actually have the money to buy HS33, also this will go just well ! I've also built a chain tensioner with an old metal stock, a jockey wheel and the mounting bold of an old Simplex road rear derailleur.

For the most of the parts I've used my mother's old MTB, a Giant Boulder from the early 2000. These parts aren't really the best but they costed me nothing ! 

The bike costed me a total of 80€, it's nota dream bike but I think that for people like me that just want to try trial, that's cool to see that it really don't cost much, that's why I wanted to share this to you !

Now I need to learn trial, that will be the best moment.

Trial.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome!

As Ali said, you can learn trial basics on almost all kind of mountain bikes. But for 80€, you definitively didn't do something wrong here.

The frame was repaired, right?

Chech regularly the new weld, it is difficult to repair an alloy frame correctly.

You can go with hs11 or 2005 hs33.

They are quite cheap.

But V-brakes are fine too, as long as you use good brakepads (dedicated to trial), cables and housing.

For your information, Sunn had horizontal dropouts for this frame (and other of this area like forestjump, tzar, etc.). Difficult to find though.

For me, the first upgrade will be the brake pads then the cables/housing of the rear brake and then a good freewheel (this last change being very expensive)

1 hour ago, La Bourde said:

Welcome!

As Ali said, you can learn trial basics on almost all kind of mountain bikes. But for 80€, you definitively didn't do something wrong here.

The frame was repaired, right?

Chech regularly the new weld, it is difficult to repair an alloy frame correctly.

You can go with hs11 or 2005 hs33.

They are quite cheap.

But V-brakes are fine too, as long as you use good brakepads (dedicated to trial), cables and housing.

For your information, Sunn had horizontal dropouts for this frame (and other of this area like forestjump, tzar, etc.). Difficult to find though.

For me, the first upgrade will be the brake pads then the cables/housing of the rear brake and then a good freewheel (this last change being very expensive)

Yes the frame was repaired on the non drive side, the previous owner had put two plates on both sides between the downtube and the toptube, it seems to be strong, but I'll check it regularly.

For the pads, I think that I'll will do some homemades ones. My father have a garage, I think I could find some good quality stuff to made them. You're right, with theses pads the braking performances aren't really great...

I wasn't knowing that sunn had made horizontal dropouts, I'm gonna look to find a pair !

But yes I think the best upgrade will be a freewheel. I don't have much money to spend on a bike now, so I've put a cheep 18T freewheel with 21 engagement points. I'm gonna look next year to find a better one I think, but this will go fine for learn trial basics !
For a beginner, what's the feewheel with the best value for the price in your mind ?

There is just one problem left. I'm 182cm and I'm not feeling good with this stem. I think it could be long enough but really too low.
There isn't any writing on it so I don't know the length of it and the angle...
What kind of stem could I put on it that is strong and don't ruin the handling of the bike ?

Thank you very much for your advices !

2 hours ago, bikeperson45 said:

Nice job with that, can't really go wrong with a seatless silver trials bike

Thank you ! It took me 3 days of hard work to sand down the horrific green paint that the previous owner had savagely sprayed on the frame ! I've just regretted that I've learned the existance of paint stripper just after finishing the sanding work :'(

On 12/20/2022 at 10:58 PM, COSpirit said:

Yes the frame was repaired on the non drive side, the previous owner had put two plates on both sides between the downtube and the toptube, it seems to be strong, but I'll check it regularly.

For the pads, I think that I'll will do some homemades ones. My father have a garage, I think I could find some good quality stuff to made them. You're right, with theses pads the braking performances aren't really great...

I wasn't knowing that sunn had made horizontal dropouts, I'm gonna look to find a pair !

But yes I think the best upgrade will be a freewheel. I don't have much money to spend on a bike now, so I've put a cheep 18T freewheel with 21 engagement points. I'm gonna look next year to find a better one I think, but this will go fine for learn trial basics !
For a beginner, what's the feewheel with the best value for the price in your mind ?

There is just one problem left. I'm 182cm and I'm not feeling good with this stem. I think it could be long enough but really too low.
There isn't any writing on it so I don't know the length of it and the angle...
What kind of stem could I put on it that is strong and don't ruin the handling of the bike ?

Thank you very much for your advices !

Regarding the stem, you can use your smart phone to estimate the angle. The length is the distance between the center of both tubes (fork steer tube and bar).

Take also in consideration the width of your bar: the span of your arms influence a lot the height of your chest.

Regarding the freewheel, a good cheap one was the tensile with 60 clicks. Maybe you can find an used one.

Other recent freewheels are quite expensive but the quality seems higher. 

On 12/22/2022 at 2:53 PM, La Bourde said:

Regarding the stem, you can use your smart phone to estimate the angle. The length is the distance between the center of both tubes (fork steer tube and bar).

Take also in consideration the width of your bar: the span of your arms influence a lot the height of your chest.

Regarding the freewheel, a good cheap one was the tensile with 60 clicks. Maybe you can find an used one.

Other recent freewheels are quite expensive but the quality seems higher. 

I'll see next year for a freewheel, the tensile seems to be great, for me 60 clicks are way good enough !

I'll do this to take the mesurments of my stem, and i'll buy a higher one in january 2023, to learn track standing this one will do the work just fine :giggle:

Thank you for your advices !