Question about upgrading V-brake to Magura HS33

coldriverjoe

Hello folks, 

I bought a Magura HS33 kit to replace my existing mechanical v-brakes in my 2013 Inspired Element. The kit came with all the hardware, including a mounting plate and brake booster. 

As I'm getting ready to install, I realized that the mounting plate does not fit my frame. My canti studs are spaced 93mm apart, whereas the mounting plate has an 80mm mounting hole spacing. According to the manual, this is the EVO2 mounting plate, which is what I thought I needed for my frame. 

Any advice on how to proceed here? I don't suppose I can just stretch out the adapter plate in order to make it fit? I've been told to purchase the EVO2 brake adaptor, but it's not clear to me that this will be any different than what I already have. Is there something unusual with the 93mm canti stud spacing in my particular frame? Is there any way to offset my canti studs?

Thanks!

Hi!

my advice: go back to V-brakes ...

Magura HS33 without dedicated 4 points mount is just a hassle. Most trial frames have spacing around 90-100mm to fit wide rims. It means, you need a specific booster.

But the trials boosters on the market are specific to the 4 points mount.

They may work with the mounting plates (evo2 kit) but this system inherently lacks stiffness.

Due to the spacing between the studs, you may have to change the connecting hose too for a longer one!

And to have a good feeling, you also need to bleed them with Trialtech fluid or coolant or antifreeze...

Good V-brakes levers (e.g. Avid Speed Dial), good cables (e.g. Odyssey Linear Slick), good pads (e.g. Jistie), V-Brakes arms (e.g. Shimano Deore) and a cheap brake booster and you are done.

What is your current v-brake setup?

Why do you want HS33? What are your expectations?

Current Magura levers are so weak, they will break within a couple of months.

There are some aftermarket levers (Trialtech, Jitsie, Clean, Hashtagg, etc.) but they are so light and most of them are quite badly designed (maybe the Trialtech is OK)

It is a pity to remove the wheel, you have to deflate the tire each time or you will have to readjust the brake...

With a 4 holes mount, dedicated lever and the right fluid, Magura HS33 are a good solution on a comp bike. On a street/trial, I will really avoid them.

And to be honest, if Crewkerz would sold a Jealousy with V-brake studs too, I would rather buy this than the one with magura 4 mounts.

Edited by La Bourde

Thanks @La Bourde for your quick response! Wow that's very interesting to hear.

Honestly the main reason I bought the Magura HS33 is that I've had a very hard time finding a brake booster that fits my frame (93mm canti stud spacing with 87 mm vertical clearance). I saw that the HS33 kit includes a brake booster and that it's a popular item so I assumed it would be a worthwhile purchase. I also assumed that hydraulic brakes would be more powerful than mechanical. But I'm all for keeping it simple if it can work just as good or better.

This is valuable advice. I can still return the HS33. But back to square one finding a booster that fits. Maybe I can just make my own? I have access to a milling machine. Maybe that's just what I need to do.

Thanks again.

You are welcome.

HS33 are OK for comp trial with a 4 holes mount. I don't know why they are so popular to be honest. I think most people associate trials with HS33 and that is it.
There are several pro riders that do not like Magura rim brakes (e.g. Ali C, Kevin Liu). I am convinced that a comp frame with canti studs and better engineered v-brake and hose (carbon reinforced?) could be amazing good (Kevin Liu produced the Lykke bike with V-brake, but I guess V-brake could be even improved further).

On my old street/trial (KST acidrop) I ran also a V-brake on canti studs. I bought a cheap no name V-brake booster, similar to this one (with eccentrics):

PROD_114092DET0_1-600x600.jpg

And I was lucky enough cause it fits my frame. It is stiff enough.

I don't know the spacing between the studs unfortunately, but the rear rim was quite wide (around 40mm).

All valid points, but, as with anything like this - all on personal preference. Whilst HS33's with Evo's mounts can need a bit of meddling for alignment and position upkeep - if that is your thing, there must be a way? These style EVO boosters go to 90mm - so if it doesn't fit - guess you could use a 2 bolt booster (Racing Line Small is 80 - 102mm) instead from Tarty / other trials supplier?

image.thumb.png.ff5060c1bc48971d57ebc938ef735454.png

Otherwise, if you stick to vee - get yourself some uprated pads, slik cable as well for that nice feel.

These backings are superb! https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/vbrake_pads/tnn_engineering_cnc_vbackings_with_post/c84p11370.html

Then grab a set of material to your liking (or grind if you run one) https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/brake_pad_refills/c552.html

My preferred cable - https://shop.odysseybmx.com/products/slic-kable

Edited by Brettoll
  • Like 1