Echo splined freewheel help. Now Echo TR disc brake help :P

Daan

I bought this second hand Echo mk6 20" bike on eBay, frame is in great shape, but I think something funky is up with the freewheel. This kind of setup is new to me, but I cannot image the freewheel should be loose like this? Something missing or wrong way around?

Edited by Daan

Ah, after some research, I think the flared spacer is the wrong way around, should be with the flare towards the freewheel right? Will have a go tomorrow. Hopefully the interface isn't too worn out yet, don't think it's ever been installed correctly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daan said:

Ah, after some research, I think the flared spacer is the wrong way around, should be with the flare towards the freewheel right? Will have a go tomorrow. Hopefully the interface isn't too worn out yet, don't think it's ever been installed correctly.

Yup, turn that spacer over and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

Alright, freewheel mounted properly!

Second issue: the brakes are shit (Echo TR disc brakes), well, at least the levers are. I was thinking putting Shimano Servowave levers (like Deore) on the Echo callipers, but not sure if these levers push enough fluid? Guess all depends on pad clearance of the seals, but not really possible to tell with the closed system they are. Has anyone done this succesfully? Is pad clearance when running them as open system similar to the Hope Trialzone,? (in which case it'll work)

Edit: might as well get a new set of Magura mt5 from ze Germans, 50 more than getting new levers, and everything will be fresh.

Is running 180mm rotors on a mod not done? I have a box full of them, and the Echo 160mm that're on there look a bit shoddy.

Edited by Daan

• Daan changed the title to Echo splined freewheel help. Now Echo TR disc brake help :P

Yeah done it with m820 lever, and hope tech 3 aswell(hope piston seal fits to make it dot system)

Try trialtech/jitsie trialzone pads first with sintered compatible rotor's,  will make a huge difference without messing around.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tidy said:

Yeah done it with m820 lever, and hope tech 3 aswell(hope piston seal fits to make it dot system)

Try trialtech/jitsie trialzone pads first with sintered compatible rotor's,  will make a huge difference without messing around.

That's some proper Frankenbraking, especially with the Hope levers. Makes me regret getting rid of a lot of my brake spare parts that I figured I'd never need anymore (Magura and Hayes levers, lots of adapters) :) Good to know it works, might revive them in the future then! (one of the levers is 100% fooked, super crunchy stroke action)

Edited by Daan