Shimano Saint

largie

what does anyone think about the shimano saint cranks or rear mechs and are the cranks better than middleburns though i doubt it! :bunny:

i wouldn't bother with any of that stuff mate. :deej:

And you can only use the rear mech with the rear hub so whats the point ;)

the rear mech has to be used with the rear hub as the mech bolts onto the hubs axle. and with it being shimano the freewheel wont last long. and the cranks look overkill but nice (if you get me lol)

• 1 year later...

Yup, time to dig up an old thread...

So I'm planning on fitting some Saint cranks to my new ride, with an E-13 supercharger bashguard modified to fit. Ok, so it won't be super small like a Middleburn pro thingy, but it'll be good enough for me.

Having fitted some already to my jump bike, I know that they're certainly light enough to qualify for trials bits, and very well made - not to mention bombproof.

My question is has anyone used these or Hones for trials? They have an odd profile which may cause them to catch on things, but it'll be worth it for the extra stiffness.

BTW, if you don't believe they can be stiffer, I've got Middleburns on both my trials bike and XC bike. These Saints make Middleburns feel like wet noodles. Well worth a try if you can get a go on some.

Mr jones uses them. They are stiff as f**k. Look nice except they have a massive bash guard and its made of plastic :huh: . But it works.

bb is on outside of the shell like those echo things. and they only have one bb length I think.

I have been using the saint cranks for a little while, I never tried the shimano chainring because some of the reviews I have read don't seem that good and I didn't want to risk it.

When I put them on my Echo Hi Fi with an Echo 06 rim the cranks did not clear the Magura cylinders if I wanted the brake set up properly. Also the chainring is really close to the frame. I found it works ok with a 38mm rim.

I've just changed my frame and the saint cranks do not fit. Chainstays stick out to far for them. :mellow:

They do feel mega stiff though.

I think Ryan Leech could be using the Hone Cranks with Truvativ 22t Bashguard?? Thats a guess from what I can see in the video. If you go under the Shows and click on "View the trials of life promo video...".

Edited by trialsy

i have saints on my kona stinky, and i love them, they piss over any other crank ive run (24/7, dmr mk2, truavtive hussefelt, raceface diabolous, middleburn, etc) they arent all that hefty either :) regarding trials use, they would be fine for an all out street rider looking for strength, who doesnt wish to run shitty small bearing isis bbs or have the weight of 3 piece

hones are essentially lx (or xt i cant remeber which) cranks with a different bb i think? i read a review in dirt about it, they dont have replaceable pedal inserts either (if that bothers anyone?)

currently, i dont think there really is a better crank out for extreme use (raceface diabolous cranks suck majorly)

I think they'd be good for natural/comp riding too because they're not heavy, very dependable, and feel so incredibly stiff.

Although they're bulky rather than spindely they look heavy, but all the hollowness helps no end.

Slightly concerned about clearance issues though. Maybe that would only affect extreme frames like the Onza Limey - for example - compared to the woodstock. I wonder if clearance details can be gotten from Shimano...

:$ Ooops. Sorry I read the first post & quickly read the others.

I have never noticed the shape of the saint crank to be a problem.

Its probably a good idea to change the bash guard, I bent one of the outer chain rings with the Shimano bash guard although this may have been bad luck as since I noticed the bend i didn't notice it getting any worse.

Is it the new E13 smaller bash your after? sounds cool.

It might be worth taking the cranks off of your other bike to be sure they will fit. Then all you have to check is the bash guard clears the frame. The Woodstock looks like it has short chain stays and if it can fit a large rear tyre the chain stays might be too wide.

The only other thing I've noticed is this might not be related but my knees have been aching and the only thing I think I have done different recently is change my cranks, pedals and shoes.

I'm going to switch back to middleburns now because they do not fit the frame i have now. I guess I'll be noticing the flex at first.