Trials Team > Street Beast

dirtbiker

I'm starting to move a little bit away from trials nowadays and i'm wondering if anyone has succesfully built up a Giant Trials Team frame as a street/dirt style bike?

At the moment i've got the normal trials spec: 175 'burns, rear HS-33, front Mini, Hope XCs on a D521 and X517, flat bar and stem etc...

I'm thinking of going for a 38t (ish) chainring, front D321 or D521, riser bars and shorter stem, a proper seat and a big front tyre. What i really want to know is if i'll need to get me some longer forks. At the moment i've got the giant ones that come with the frameset, but im not quite sure what length they are.

Any help appeciated!

they will be strong enough. i wouldnt put to high forks on as it will upset the geo, im pretty sure their used to be a geezer in an old mbuk jumping somthing very similar to a trials team. and he was sponsered by them. dont and not sure if it was the trials team though

I wouldnt bother with the suspension forks, as they probably will mess with the geometry. Just get some beefier rigid forks. If I remember correctly the Giant forks that come with that frame are rather skinny curved pashley-copy things that wont really cope with harsh street / dirt riding.

i've put 80mm bomber forks on my giant team trials frame.... to make it more streety/jumpy! i think larger forks wouldnt reck the head angle either, it fells nice with my longer forks anyway....

As for the bigger chainring, i'd say 32th max. i've gotta 38 on my dh bike, and its plenty for that, too much for street in my opinion!

rims...... 521s would be ideal, light, not too wide, f-in strong etc...

tyres...... tioga dh jobbies will do the trick..... 2.3s probly

bars/stem. For mine i'm running about 90mm 15% ride raceface thangs with matching bars.... i think these are ok for street, but ideally i reckon a shorter stem would match bigger forks...

heres a pic of my beast as it was a while back, just to illustrate the bars etc. but i'm currently in the process of repainting the frame, and i dont have a modern pic incl. sussy forks: -

gallery_3155_190_1096482961.jpg

gimme a couple of days to finish painting etc and i'll post a brand spanking new pic just for you...... (Y)

hope i've helped

edit: you can just see my bombers inthe background of the above pic.....

Edited by skandy32

well i have just got a wethepeople 4seasons, and i am very impressed with it, its the 2005 model am one. i have never had a bmx before but the ones i have riden, i could'nt get used too, even if i rode them for a long time, the wethepeople, first 30 mins i could do some pretty cool stuff on it, well i like it.

• 3 weeks later...

i know a lad who had a giant team trials frame with twin disks a 34t r.ring and 130mm sus forks and it was the f**kin bollocks, man it was soooo sweet to ride manualed like a biatch and you could still do a bit of easy trialsy stuff. my dbr has got 80mm's on the front and i like it sooo much more now

do it and then ride it and then tell us how much more you love it and then get some piccys up.

oh yeah and if you do sell it let me know cos i'd love to have a giant built up as a street/jump bike, they handle sooo much better than jump frames do...