Anyone Seen The New (well Kinda)

Onza-Ash

I was reading januarys micromart when i stumbled across the psp, i think its amazing and im gonna get one from america after march when they come out over there. If anyone hasnt yet seen it i can get pics, but it'd be easier to search google. Anyone else think its a good idea? Will take of well?

Ash

okay, its an uber con, japan released them sunday, the price they charged was about £91, when we get them in march we will be expecting around £180, we are over £55 dearer than any other country in the world. (well, with the expected prices ive seen so far). The are the power of a ps2 i believe, they play videos and music too. PSP on its own is £179 and value pack is £200ish.

Edited by Onza-Ash

Someone in my year has one, (he has the nintendo DS too but that sucks ass) and its ace.

So ace infact, i bought one off ebay a couple of days ago, should be here next week.

I got a 512mb card too and RidgeRacers so i can play videos.

It was either a PSP or a new MP3 player and i couldn't wait till march so i though, 'what the heck'.

I'll post again when it arrives.

In the mean time theres loads of info on ign.com and gamespot for anyone who's interested.

As for the battery it lasts 10 hours just playing Mp3, around 4 hours playing games at full settings and full volume, around 3hr 40mins (i think) playing constant LAN and 24hr's on standby. But the batteries are removable so you can easily buy a spare.

edit oops! seems it can play media files from memory sticks :o. Deleted the comment that was here.

I don't think it should be called a PlayStation Portable really, as that would suggest you could use all your current PSx games in it. You can't. But I suppose I CD is quite big in comparison to a handheld gaming system, so it wouldn't really be practical. If you really want to be able to play all your old PSx games on the go you'll have to do something similar to this guy!

If you ignore the lack of old (and therefore cheap) games and the slightly iffy battery life, the PSP is a very cool little device. I started this wanting to espouse the DS>PSP, but I'm no longer so sure. On one hand the DS is kind of cute, with a wealth of old games to choose from, better battery life (6-10 hours) and (I think) a bit smaller. On the other the PSP is faster, with better graphics, USB2 support and a MIPS processor.

For those so inclined there's a few nice pictures of someone taking a PSP to bits here.

Edited by delusional

edit

For those so inclined there's a few nice pictures of someone taking a PSP to bits here.

yeh exactly, check those pictures then look HERE the DS looks like it was made in 1980, Nintendo need to get into the 21st century.

And whilst we're at it, check THESE PICS the psp totally outclasses the DS in everyway.

Ahhh the PSP... Very old news if your into games but if your not then :D

Firstly I just bought a DS :D theres a good few reasons why... Basically the DS price will be higher here than it is in the US atm so I got mine for £126 with 4 games inc P+P where as the atm price of a PSP seems nearer £200 + shipping and stuff.

The PSP is a sony product and therfore by default will infact be faulty in a matter of days :D PS2's die so easy its not funny working at Game and seeing the extent of the ratio of broken PS2's to say Gamecubes or Xbox's its like 100 broken PS2's to 1 Xbox or Cube.. thats no joke.

The PSP does look nice graphically and obivously is going to look better when its shinney video of some fit girl versus a re-done N64 Mario Game.. so pretty much un-fair match up there.

See some real facts over here: PSP getting owned

Now I have many friends who have both systems and loads of them have just plain sold on there PSP's after a week, the DS they find is just a better handheld and the ammount of PSP issues that could occur they'd prefer to wait for a US launch.

UK retail price of PSP is Est. £150-£170 the Sony Rep told me. but then again he said the battery lasted "all day in the office" which is utter tripe ;)

I'll be buying both handhelds because.. well thats just what I do.. but Im definately not rushing into buying an overpriced import PSP.

Few things quickly.. extra battery packs = $50/£27 where as GBA SP batterys are like $10/£6

PSP's are already re-nowned for having dead pixel issues that sony fail to accept as a fault unlike nintendo, so its luck of the draw, hense Im waiting and opening the store ones to find a nice one :P

One last thing: RicH_87 how much you pay for yours(for the lot)? Value Pack is it or not?

Laters, Olly

See some real facts over here: PSP getting owned

Sounds like bollocks. For anyone who hasn't read the article, it basically says that Sony make their consoles break, so you have to buy a new one. But it's a well-known fact that manufacturers make a LOSS on consoles, and the deficit is made up in software sales. I think I heard that for every PS2 sold, Songy lost £80 or something. Which is the reason they brought out the new littler PS2, as it was cheaper to manufacter.

Sounds like bollocks.  For anyone who hasn't read the article, it basically says that Sony make their consoles break, so you have to buy a new one.  But it's a well-known fact that manufacturers make a LOSS on consoles, and the deficit is made up in software sales.  I think I heard that for every PS2 sold, Songy lost £80 or something.  Which is the reason they brought out the new littler PS2, as it was cheaper to manufacter.

Want to take a look at the 5 massive shelves of faulty PS2's?

Fact is they did do it, they got sued, was on watchdog etc.

Funny thing is the Sony rep came to game, got out his PS2 plugged it in to show off the new games he had and... his PS2 was screwed ^_^ even the Sony reps PS2 is dead what does that say?

Theres a media player for the SP/DS by the way too accepts flash cards and can play 60 mins of music ona 128mb card or something..

The DS is also touch screen and once you see the Gamespot video of Metroid and the training missions you'll see some of the genius that can come from a first called "gimmick" it works like a PC mouse on shooters and can be used in many many different ways.. Tiger Woods you can swing the clubs when putting etc and on Feel the Magic (querky title) you can use it to rub things and do stuff aswell as using the in-built microphone to interact with games aswell.

And yes rocktrials it stands for playstation portable :turned:

Olly

For the Sony fanboys on the forums heres some proper graphical DS to PSP images..

First Click this:

Tiger Woods DS

Scroll through and it looks damned good for a handheld!

Then you see this:

Tiger Woods PSP

And you just think.. damn.. thats really really nice to look at ^_^

The PSP's graphics are far superior at the moment from games developers so far but it doesn't nessarily make it a better handheld, as past Gameboy "better-thans" prove when they were beaten, partly down to battery life shortages and things like that.

We'll see anyway :turned:

One last thing: RicH_87 how much you pay for yours(for the lot)? Value Pack is it or not?

Laters, Olly

£184.99 for the actual console (no value pack for many reasons, basically 32mb is pure shit, i have headphones, the case looks flimsey and poor and the wrist strap is far to camp.

Ridgeracers cost me £33 and i got a 512mb card for £47.99

so all in all around £265 which i think is reasonable considering the capabilities.

And yes, i was fully aware of the Square button problem, the dead pixle problem and the ejecting disc problem, but like every new thing people can ALWAYS find faults with them, I mean come on, who actually plays so hard that they physically twist the console in there hands??? ^_^

Annnnnd, i grew out of Nintendo products when i was 7, sure they are a great company and their gaming standard has stayed consistent after many years but they need to update instead of stickling with what used to work. I would much rather play a Tony hawks game or GTA on a great screen with a couple of dead pixles, than play Mario 9 or whatever it is now, on a far poorer screen on a mini laptop sized, 80's style, grey box.

Summary,

Nintendo DS is a great handheld console but PSP is just a far superior peice of hardware.

(I have played on both too, so don't be replying with, "don't knock it till you tried it" ) ^_^"

^^^ haha thats awsome.

I REALLY don't see the point in that dual screen thing ^_^

At first I hailed the DS as being poor and Nintendo's worst idea for a handheld.. but it IS actually really really usefull if you read what I said before.

Instant turning with ease you can run turn and jump while strafing and shooting fluidly, this is simply not possible on the PSP. I'll get you the video link to look at maybe..

sorry bout spamming but...

The console isn't out for another month or two right, basically because Sony can't meet the demand and are struggling to make enough PSP's for a decent launch.

Therefore, whats stopping the 'new' PSP's being rushed and probably built even worse than the Jap ones.

If you are waiting to buy one because of the build quality you will have to wait atleast 2-4 months extra AFTER the launch when they have manufacterd the '2nd batch' so to speak.

Why would the Jap ones be made any less well than the EU ones or US ones? and the only reason i can think of that the DS hasn't had any massive faults is becasue it's still based on old technology.

EDIT: TRAILER FOR PSP CLICK HERE TO STREAM

Edited by RicH_87

sorry bout spamming but...

The console isn't out for another month or two right, basically because Sony can't meet the demand and are struggling to make enough PSP's for a decent launch.

Therefore, whats stopping the 'new' PSP's being rushed and probably built even worse than the Jap ones.

If you are waiting to buy one because of the build quality you will have to wait atleast 2-4 months extra AFTER the launch when they have manufacterd the '2nd batch' so to speak.

Why would the Jap ones be made any less well than the EU ones or US ones? and the only reason i can think of that the DS hasn't had any massive faults is becasue it's still based on old technology.

DS is based on new technology, they've also had a few dead pixel problems but the get replaced since its considered a fault un-like with the PSP its "normal to find a few"

PSP in uk might go wrong faster (there already bad enough in JAP) but I cant keep sending it back to japan each time it goes wrong where as in the UK I'll just go to work and swap it over no hassle.. problem solved ^_^