Riser Bars Over Flat Bars

Mr Motivator

but that works with both flats and risers.

I love risers but my risers are pretty flat so  (Y)

just try some differnet setups and make your choice from that, everyone has a different preference.

yep, and youll break wrists.

with risers you could make your bike about an inch longer, if put forwards, plus youll still get upsweep from them, cos.... youll be using the backsweep off the risers.

Ive just changed my try-alls for a pair of Azonic double walls with 2" rise, and i love the feel of my bike now. I dont know if its the same case for different frames/stems etc... but ive found that its a lot more 'flicky' and reactive on the back wheel.

Manuals seem to be a lot easier to keep balanced now, which also means that big hop to manuals are a damn sight easier too. Ive been learning bigger and bigger front taps since i fitted the risers, so i think thats because theres a bit more accuracy when pulling up too. All in all they give your riding a lot more options, wallrides, spins and the like are easily do-able now.

The only thing i would advise is to put a shade shorter stem on if your running a huge one now, mine felt odd with a huge tree trunk stylee try-all stem on.

Plus in my opinion they look nicer too, more 'streety' (Y)

gallery_4699_444_58190.jpg

Tom

Risers look nicer, feel stiffer and allow you to have more control when doing manuals bunny hops etc...

Risers - More Streety

Flat - Looks UCI, rides UCI, err buy a mod?

sam

koxx and monty are both uci, but both use riser bars........ :-"

i just p*ssed on your post(LOL) :- :S (Y) :S

koxx and monty are both uci, but both use riser bars........ :-"

i just p*ssed on your post(LOL) :S  :-  (Y)  :P

Yeah but I was kinda muddling everything up a bit... when i think of risers i think of those in the above pic of the koxx...

Flats are those huuuuuge long thins that curve upwards and come stock on most onzas and things.

I'm not making a lot of sense.. but i like piss - please piss on my post :S

sam

i switched from azonic dw's to try-all flats when i got my coustellier last spring. now the azonic's (on my newly built kona cowan) feel absolutely terrible. almost like riding your grandma's old ladies bike. (Y) the amount of backsweep is i think the most annoying thing.

there is no other difference between risers and flats other than the fact that the risers are 1-3 inches higher than flats.

so if you had a 60mm long stem with no rise, with risers it will feel exactly the same as flat bars on a 60mm long 2 inch ride stem. providing the angles of sweep are the same on both bars.

so what im trying to say is that its a mixture of getting the right bar AND stem, not just concentrating on the bar.

for example you could have an echo flat bar with an azonic 0 rize stem and then think oooo a rizer bar will make it feel streety. whereas just putting a stem with a 2 inch rise will make it feel streety. but itll still look uci.

sorry for the blabble but it does make sence :P"

Will (Y)

for example you could have an echo flat bar with an azonic 0 rize stem and then think oooo a rizer bar will make it feel streety. whereas just putting a stem with a 2 inch rise will make it feel streety. but itll still look uci.

Thing is though, echo/brisa etc bars wont fit in normal stems......

I think some people are confusing "riser bars" with "Trials riser bars". On one hand you have riser bars, like Azonics and ugly plop like them that like to snap....and then theres the trials riser like Pazzaz/montys etc. Cant really class them in the same grounp, as theyre designed for entirely different things

And nichols_sam,

Looks UCI, rides UCI, err buy a mod?

But mods arnt THAT uci really are they? So thats not much of a point you got there really (Y)

Edited by JTM