Avid Ultimates Or Xtr's

trialsguru

right ive just setup a rear vee ive got a deore lever, oddessy linear cable, xtr booster and an avid sd3 caliper, the whole thing feels nice, doesnt lock because ive got crap pads on there at the mo but all shall be sorted, only problem ive got is the calipers flex sooo much, would either an avid ultimate or xtr caliper sort this problem? also which 1's the best i can see xtr feeling nicer as the pads hit the rim square on but i used to have an old lx and it was crap?

any help?

cheers!

right ive just setup a rear vee ive got a deore lever, oddessy linear cable, xtr booster and an avid sd3 caliper, the whole thing feels nice, doesnt lock because ive got crap pads on there at the mo but all shall be sorted, only problem ive got is the calipers flex sooo much, would either an avid ultimate or xtr caliper sort this problem? also which 1's the best i can see xtr feeling nicer as the pads hit the rim square on but i used to have an old lx and it was crap?

any help?

cheers!

As an Ultimate user....I'd say the Ultimate every time. The XTR might have more power, but it works itself loose over time, and the power then isn't all put into the braking force.

The Ultimate's don't have this problem. They run on cartridge bearings, so can't possibly work themselves loose. The smoothness cannot be rivalled either, takes so little effort to get a braking force, and there is next to no friction when set up with a decent cable such as yours

They look pimpy t'fook as well :P

EDIT: I have used XTR's as well, and I much preffered the feel of the Ultimate's :S

I used to think XTR parallel push was bollocks, but Ive had mine for a year now with stupidly powerful spik fly pads (seriously on or off brake) and mines not worked loose yet?!

Id go so far as to say your brake isnt flexing, its your cable, with bad routing and/or a full outer, am I right?

yer its full outer cable, but when you look at the brake arms you can see them moving inwards loads, surpose it is a bit cable flex but still seems brake arms

does anyone know where i can get an ultimate?

I think wiggle have them.

If not, I think Adam has one that he brought from the forum for a silly price.

Nothing really works THAT well on a smooth rim in the wet, for obvious reasons, but Plaz CRV's on a smooth clean rim is brilliantly grippy in the dry (Y)

true, but I just don't want to spend £16 (or whatever) on some pads that go 'oh for f**ks sake' and give up as soon as a bit of water touches them.

the ones i use at the moment (wtb mountain pads salmon compound) are good and have good braking in all but the harshest of wet conditions, but if i could get better that would be good :(

mike

Having used ultimates on my trials bike for about 1.5 years I would highly recommend them. Very powerfull with a solid feel and of course, very light. The only v-brake caliper I think I'd ever use. It's just a pity they have stopped making them. Best snap one up quickly if you do decide that's what you want.

I also recommend getting a ultimate lever to compliment. Definatly better than an XTR lever. Very smooth, and very comfy. The only downfall is they seem to die way before the calipers. The levers develop play, I'm assuming due to the cartridge bearings, but then again all other levers have play in the first place. The levers also have a tendency to bend with relative ease. This may have been to my oafishness, but my of the 2 pairs I owned, they lasted between 6-9 months. XTRs definatly seem stronger. They just feel a bit crap.

Finally, if you want the perfect brake setup, get a ceramic rim and avid green pads. Words don't convey how amazing I think this setup works. Predictable modulation and loads of power with very little noise. Also works well in the wet :(

Edited by rowly