Grinding Alternative

Dylan_

as far as i know, Andy P is the only person in trials history who has made black pads work with a smooth rim! B)  but seriously, what's with all this "cleaning you  rim with jif", "using a wire brush attachment", "scraping it with a file" crap? just get a fecking grinder! they cost about £15 and i've never heard of someone destroying their rim due to running a grind! >_< if you don't want a really grabby rear brake, just give it a light grind B)

no no no

rowan had black pads on a clean rim and his brake worked IMMENSE better than than my koxx bloxx on grind with tar (Y)

Somepeople may like a little slip in their brake... i don't know why, but they may..

But i wanted to test this wire brush out before i grind. Because i'm looking for a good hold.

Who wants slip on their brake!?! Oh yes please sir, when i'm gapping off a wall onto a rail!

Point (1) Your LBS doesnt know shit about trials. You NEED a grind if you want a good holding and powerful brake.

Point (2) The wire brushing is crap. Dont waste your energy. Go get a grinder and a disc, and grind the feck out of your rim, then you will have a good brake.

Point (3) Decent maggie pads are a tenner, and they last like 6 months, so stop being a fanny and get the grinder out, there are NO excuses

Thats probably THE funniest thing ive ever heard! lol

I dont even have to justify what Im about to say, its just a fact:

"No it does not!!!"

That brake ^^^ would work on a bike used for general riding or light XC etc, it does NOT hold up on a trials bike. If you want a brake that will always work its best, you need a grind. The most powerful brake without a grind, is not as powerful as the best brake with a grind. Sorry!

Shut up!

Not everyone has the same opinion as you!

My plaz on a clean rim work fine.

Some people don't tend to make brakes slip if your like me and only a slim jim...

Shut up!

Not everyone has the same opinion as you!

My plaz on a clean rim work fine.

Some people don't tend to make brakes slip if your like me and only a slim jim...

I think you'll find as soon as its slightly wet he'll have the last laugh though.

I wouldn't have thought black pads on a clean rim would give good power consistantly, maybe when the rim is uber clean, but who wants to have to clean their rim all the time?

If you want decent power get decent pads, if you want decent power consistantly in all conditions you will need a grind.

Koxx rims come with a brushed surface like that, and i must say my brake was crap on it, a grind is definately better for braking, and if you go careful, your rim will still be strong enough.

Same here mate my braking was pure sh**e with the koxx rim until that 'prebrush' as they called it wore off. Then whacked on some tar and no problems since B) Apart from a snapped hose....

Although I hear rumour koxx rims = crap grinds >_<

I've found humid/spitting just seems to make brakes on clean rim a little more bity if anything.

But admittedly if its really raining the brake will die.

I'd have to agree with that. Especialy my disk brake, it seems to grip when it's humid out.

To recap, I was saying that black pads on a smooth rim (or red pads, or greens or greys etc etc) are all absolute turd. Plaz and koxx etc etc are prety good though! I ran plaz pads on a smooth D521 for about 2 onths and it was a seriously immense brake, but I had to carry water and a rag round with me.... So sacked that off soon enough. You just cant compet witha grind. No maintinence or cleaning of the rim required. Better OVERALL brake in the dry (smooth rim with plaz etc does actually have a nice "bite" imo) and 200 times better brake in the wet.