Virus Alert

DJ Phaze

I know how it works, trust.  I dont back down on the fact that in this day and age people need to get educated on such basics - and if they dont, they deserve to learn that the  hard way.  With a little bit of basic computer education a lot of spyware and virii wouldnt be a problem because the user would see how obvious it is.

It's not just the lack of education of people - insecure software is also 50% of the problem. If more people used an alternative OS to Microsoft Windows.

If people don't know about the security - probably becuase they don't really care about their computers - then it is the responsibility of the retailer to install/configure the software for them - e.g. install Anti-Virus (which works..... i.e. not cheap shit); spyware removal tools, all patches released..... and automatically set them up for later releases.

If more people used Macs, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, etc then there would be MUCH less problem with Viri.

50% people.

50% buggy software.

There would also be a lot more people that can't use their computer because Linux IS more confusing. Way more. Also if one of the Linux variants became the dominant platform, virus/spyware creators would just target that operating system. I find it hilarious that you think just because the OS is linux based its instantly 100% secure and bug free!

There would also be a lot more people that can't use their computer because Linux IS more confusing.  Way more.  Also if one of the Linux variants became the dominant platform, virus/spyware creators would just target that operating system.  I find it hilarious that you think just because the OS is linux based its instantly 100% secure and bug free!

Im not saying it's 100% secure - no OS is. It is far *more* secure than Windows. Bugs are ironed out quicker in Linux than Windows - thats a common known fact - due to the sheer quantity/quality of developers involved in the projects.

OpenBSD - only had ONE (yes ONE) hacked server in the entire history of the OS - and that's with the DEFAULT install...... enough said.

Linux isn't confusing... have you tried the latest Mandrake or Suse?

It is only a problem sometimes, becuase people choose the wrong distribution to learn on - picking Slackware instead of Mandrake, etc. People have problems with drivers, due to the lack of company support...

Why is there little support?

Because there is little demand.

Why is there little demand?

Because people find it easier to install hardware on Windows.

Catch 22.

More and more companies are developing drivers and software for Linux/*BSD/Solaris, which is great - I am all for it. For example, ATi's graphics card driver used to be impossible to install, without reading for 10hrs.... now it has simple, included instructions - which makes it painless....99% of the time.

Applications like OpenOffice.org has attracted more people too, to alternative OS's.