Intenret Speeds / Packages

Dai the Socket

I'm looking into upgrading my broadband as my current 512k seems abit slow and i'd love the luxury to be able to download DVD's quicker!

I'm currently on the 576 (:ermm:ish) bt deal that was bought before all this recent 'allowance' and 'usage limits' came into play.

I'm looking about changing to a 1 mb or 2mb connection. But dont really like the idea of a 2mb with blueyonder / Ntl as they cant cover us i dont think, and we'd be a new customer, too much hassle really.

I'm not really bothered about if they say 'only one computer per household can be connected at once' cos thats bull to me lol. I've got a netgear router and wireless gateway and then sub Ip addy's so thats all good. :D

Do any of you have the 1mb Bt broadband package? It's £29.99 a month and if you order online at the moment, comes with free Xbox live kit.

It can cover us but has usage limits. :D

Downloads per month are 30gb. Which can be illustrated here (far right column)

I download a fair few biking vids and music regularly and its left on the net (being surfed by atleast one computer from about 5 pm til about 9 every day and much more at weekends.

Cheers for all your help if you can give me any :D

Edit: Bt's packages can be founded for a lazy link: here

Nick

Edited by mod661

Downloads per month are 30gb. Which can be illustrated here (far right column)

I download a fair few biking vids and music regularly and its left on the net (being surfed by atleast one computer from about 5 pm til about 9 every day and much more at weekends.

I'm not convinced providers can keep a tab on how much bandwidth you've used (or so I heard). We have ntl with a 30gb/month limit in our student house with 8 people all downloading and have no bandwidth problems.

I'm not convinced providers can keep a tab on how much bandwidth you've used (or so I heard).  We have ntl with a 30gb/month limit in our student house with 8 people all downloading and have no bandwidth problems.

Yeah, but I also "heard" that BT were introducing ACTUAL limits in around february time. So we might be in for a surprise then. Having said that, 30Gb is a lot of downloading.

Im on BT 1 mb broadband. tis all good, considering theres a 42.5 db Downstream and 31.5 upstream loss on the line, I remember the days it couldnt do 512kb over a loss of over 40db, alls well on the ADSL front.

1 mb is defetly enough as far as speed is conserned, i am worried about how these download limits will affect the service...

Jono

yup, just upgraded my BT line from 512kb to 1mb.

Its basically the same as 512 except all my xboxes and PC's have a more stable, faster connection.

The problem with 512kb was that it was split between 4 pcs and 2 xboxes and when you would use the line excessivly on one appliance (mainly my pc :D ) all the rest would suffer.

With 1meg the difference isn't massive, but it deffinatly noticable, and it only costs us £3 more a month so we might as-well. :D

No hassle either, i ordered 1meg, waiting about a week, then one night my internet went off, couple of minutes later it reconnected and it was 1mb :D

im with some company called pipex, Pipex, 512 service, no limits, im allways connected and ive never been disconnected/ connection dropped for any reason, downloading videos etc i get a gd steady speed of 60kb/s

sharing it with 2 other pcs, its fine, id recomend it :D

Edited by cookie456_the2nd

But dont you have to have some sort of service from Telewest already or something?

I've just got a normal BT line at the moment then it's networked inside my house.

It can take upto 10 mb or something, the line in my house.

Hmm..

WOW 10mb on a BT line?!?! you must be across the road from the exchange!!

Im really close to one, the lines around my area are really good for some reason. They were some of the first ones put in for broadband in my area :D

Or i might jus be randomly regurgetating rubbish i picked up from my dad :D

Edited by mod661