*radial Spokage*

iwannaleeson!

i am in the process of buying a new rim for my new front king hub. I am running a front xtr and was wondering whether to have the rim laced to the hub using the radial pattern :D" . Does anyone know if this is a good idea on a king classic hub with a v brake, and will it save much weight (not really important).

cheers :(

What will King say when I tell them that a huge chunk of my rear hub snapped away for no reason? No it was most definately not under too much tension, and was behind a cassette, so I'd be stunned if it was hit.....

Edited by Fishwog

What will King say when I tell them that a huge chunk of my rear hub snapped away for no reason? No it was most definately not under too much tension, and was behind a cassette, so I'd be stunned if it was hit.....

Chain fell off the back of the cassette?

just an idea, so dont shoot me too soon.

The whole idea (to my understanding), of lacing a wheel radially, is to save weight, and you will save quite a lot, the spokes being so much shorter than having them laced triple cross. You're alright having the wheel laced radially witha non-disc hub (which yours is), and using a v-brake (whcih you are). NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER try lacing a wheel radially and then use a disc brake, at least not on both sides of the wheel. I have personally ripped spokes in half from the forces of a disc brake being used on a radial wheel. Talk to a professional wheelbuilder like tarty who can explain a bit more about it, but the long and short of it is that yep, you should be fine with it.

And I think it looks really cool, so there...

Hope that helps

Rich

FRONT HUB! im not stupid enough to do the rear hub radial! :( and its with a v-brake so it will have equal tension on both sides

Chain fell off the back of the cassette?

just an idea, so dont shoot me too soon.

If the chainfell of the back of it, and caused a huge chunk to rip away, causing me to have to run 2 less spokes, then Chris King hubs are not worth the money. I know I havn't hit it, or anything like that. It literally just fell off :(

Also anyone have a clue how long an axle takes to come back on warranty? I sent mine off two weeks ago on tuesday.....

The whole idea (to my understanding), of lacing a wheel radially, is to save weight, and you will save quite a lot, the spokes being so much shorter than having them laced triple cross. You're alright having the wheel laced radially witha  non-disc hub (which yours is), and using a v-brake (whcih you are). NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER try lacing a wheel radially and then use a disc brake, at least not on both sides of the wheel. I have personally ripped spokes in half from the forces of a disc brake being used on a radial wheel. Talk to a professional wheelbuilder like tarty who can explain a bit more about it, but the long and short of it is that yep, you should be fine with it.

And I think it looks really cool, so there...

Hope that helps

Rich

thanks alot dude, will ask tartridge :(

If the chainfell of the back of it, and caused a huge chunk to rip away, causing me to have to run 2 less spokes, then Chris King hubs are not worth the money. I know I havn't hit it, or anything like that. It literally just fell off :(

Also anyone have a clue how long an axle takes to come back on warranty? I sent mine off two weeks ago on tuesday.....

Chain drops off a few times, makes a nice sharp corner in the bottom of the flange, couple of big drops, flange goes ping?

My axle took about 3 weeks to come back to me...

How much weight is it really gonna save though? Full set of spokes is what, 200g maybe a bit more, I cant see it saving much than 50g, thats the weight of a grip!

I'd rather know it can take a right hammering than save 50g (get foam grips lol)

How much weight is it really gonna save though? Full set of spokes is what, 200g maybe a bit more, I cant see it saving much than 50g, thats the weight of a grip!

Its not even that much - spokes will typically be around 15mm shorter for radial than 3cross... so... thats 15/260 of the weight saved (assuming plain gauge spokes)... but the head/elbow weighs more than the middle.

Something like DT Double Butted spokes come in at ~200g per wheel (claimed).

Basically, you'll save 10g a wheel, at a push. Not really worth worrying about IMO, especially when it WILL break your hub - its just a matter of time. Some people are prepared to do it for looks though... and it does look pretty funky.

My rear mod wheel was radially spoked on one side, and 3 crossed on the other. And they all snapped off at the ends of the spokes, one by one. It was the crossed side which snapped, i think it was because that side was the only side doing all the work.

I wouldn't recommned radially spoking, for the sake of a few grams. i will probably catch you out sometime, when out on a ride.

Bit off topic, but was anyone at nass about three years ago, and there was this guy who had snowflake lacing on his wheels. Literally, the spokes were wrapped around each other about six or seven times. I have no idea how long it would have taken to build, how monstrously hard it must have been to true, or in fact how long each spoke would have had to have been, but it looked damn funky. I think he was riding a brisa or something... honestly can't remember, was pretty drunk at the time...

Rich

If you were running radial lacing, on the drive side of a rear hub mate, it's your fault really. Think about it, theres no way radial spoking will be able to transmit torque through spokes going straight to a rim without crossing over to distribute the pressure. It would clearly damage the hub, and I don't think any hub in the world could deal with that for a long period of time....(bar silly set ups, like 48spoke gsport bmx hubs on 19inch wheels....slightly different to a king 32h on 26inch)

James