Overclocking Radeon 9550

David

i have my saphire radeon 9550 128Mb running at a clock speed of 445MHz for any 3d application. This basically gives a 20% increase in the number of frames per second it can process and equates to smoother scrolling graphics in games and CAD.

You will need a set of softmod drivers and ATItool to be able to alter the card settings.

I would advise setting up the card to run at normal speeds when there is no 3d application running to save your processor running at max speed the intire time.

If you need a hand then msn me.

Is it worth doing??

Depends on what you want from the card, what applications you use.

Would it damage anything??

Overclocking anything increases the risk of it breaking. It automatically voids the warranty.....

Get some proper cooling on there first - do your homework on overclocking graphics cards - then decide whether it's for you or not.

:: Phaze ::

Depends on what you want from the card, what applications you use.

Overclocking anything increases the risk of it breaking. It automatically voids the warranty.....

Get some proper cooling on there first - do your homework on overclocking graphics cards - then decide whether it's for you or not.

:: Phaze ::

Anything that uses the 3d engine will benefit from higher frame rates giving smoother graphics.

I have had no problems at all overclocking mine, it is completely stable at the higher speed and i have played several games for hours. The card has a frankly small heatsink and no fan as standard, mine has run without problem in this configuration for a month, but i am getting a cooler that will blow onto the heatsink to ensure temps dont get too high over prolonged operation.

Anything that uses the 3d engine will benefit from higher frame rates giving smoother graphics.

<insert sarcastic voice>Really? Well-I-never! So that's why my 9800 Pro is overclocked, water-cooled & volt-modded! I remember now! Silly me... (Y)"

I have had no problems at all overclocking mine, it is completely stable at the higher speed and i have played several games for hours. The card has a frankly small heatsink and no fan as standard, mine has run without problem in this configuration for a month, but i am getting a cooler that will blow onto the heatsink to ensure temps dont get too high over prolonged operation.

Have you thought about anywhere longer than 1 month??? You card will *very* quickly deteriorate unless you get some proper cooling... don't come back in 3 months and say "My card doesn't work anymore".... :blink:

A decent gfx cooler will cost you as little as £5 on eBay - I *strongly* recommend getting one.... :)

I assume you are refering to OpenGL and DirectX, not the *game engine* or *rendering engine* of programs...

Edited by DJ Phaze

<insert sarcastic voice>Really? Well-I-never! So that's why my 9800 Pro is overclocked, water-cooled & volt-modded! I remember now! Silly me... :)"

Have you thought about anywhere longer than 1 month??? You card will *very* quickly deteriorate unless you get some proper cooling... don't come back in 3 months and say "My card doesn't work anymore".... :blink:

A decent gfx cooler will cost you as little as £5 on eBay - I *strongly* recommend getting one.... (Y)

I assume you are refering to OpenGL and DirectX, not the *game engine* or *rendering engine* of programs...

f**ksake. 1 he wasnt talking to you, he was obviously telling David the virtues of overclocking and basically what it will do for him. Its simple, David will know if it will benefit him as he will know if he uses 3d stuf or not! But well done on showing off that you can follow a guide on the internet to overclock your radeon9800, you pro you. And that you can watercool your PC which obviously nobody in the world has ever done before.

A second round of applause for telling him to get better cooling for the card when he's just said thats what he's doing :P

Just a quick update now that i have my cooler. Due to the layout of the Sapphire 9550 i have it wasn't possible to get a new cooler to fit onto the card itself. I therefore got this pci fan card which is mounted directly below the graphics card and while not being ideal has enabled me to push the maximum clock speed up to 470MHz. However to ensure i don't fry the graphics card ill leave it running at 445MHz, and just benefit from it running cooler.