Bike Insurance

guineasmithpig

have used the search n found a v short topic on e&l insurance. £114 is cheaper than endsleigh (£195 for upto £1500 value, requiring approved locks (£80+) and datatagging (£50))

is this best offer anyone can get? tis a lot. also, anyone utilised the fact that (realisticly) your bike should be cover by home contents, even if ur away from home riding it? my m8s insurance company sed they don't expect bikes to be at home all the time, so, as long as it weren't nicked because he left it outside unlocked or somthin daft, it'd still be covered. only benefit of seperate insurance, is u can get 'accidental' damage cover. might come in handy. but does it bump up ur premium if u make a claim?

smithy

We (Evans Cycles) sell decent insurance, little bit more than E&L at £149.99 for upto £1500 cover, but u do get a free datatag which we'll fit for u. As with the other, u need a pretty hefty lock to go with it, but thats to be expected!

Linky

List of locks

It also covers helmet, shoes and clothing etc, so is pretty smart. All done through another company, but all the feedback so far has been really good.

Hope this helps (Y)

M@

I'm currently with E&L and have found them to be more than helpful, the cover for my bike is transferred between my uni and home addresses with a simple phone call. They took a complete spec of my bike at the begginning of the year, along with values and worked out the premium from that, i think mine was about £107 for £1200 worth. I did have to fit a datatag and buy a new lock which set me back around 60 between them, and so was still cheaper than endslsigh. Their policy also includes public liability insurance of up to £1 million, which endsleigh removed from their policy last time i came to renew, hense the switch. Also E&L will pay to replace parts if they break, although i wouldn't think this included the abuse we put our bikes through.

I preferred the E&L deal, as for the same price as endsleigh i got a beasty lock and a datatag.

Oh and by the way, datatags can be purchased from wiggle for £20, not the £50 you mentioned.

I found that, while Endsleigh is good if you HAVE to insure it separately, putting it on a house and contents policy is a far better solution. When I was looking around, HSBC didn't give a monkeys about how many bikes, as long as the value covered the most expensive one. To be on the safe side, be very clear with them about what the bike is and what it's worth. If you do have to claim, that will give the least amount of hassle when it comes to what your bike is worth.