Hip - Hop

trialsking 55

<emo>Oh my god my girlfriend dumped me again im gonna go cut my wrists</emo>

(Y)"

LOL Yay for the Gay Emo people. (Going to get slated for that like a man whore under a collapsing slate roof)

I cannot understand what any single rapper says. It's just too fast and jibberish like. Don't start saying "Slipknot, Slayer" and the other heavy metal bands you know which I understand. I went through 2 entire slayer songs writing down the majority of lyrics for my brother to prove him wrong.

hmmm im not a fan. for me when i listen to music is isnt entirely about the lyrics, or beat. I just find when ever i listen to hip hop i have to make a concious effort to listen to the lyrics and understand the meaning. i feel that this then takes away my enjoyment of music. i would prefer to be listening to 'good' dance sort of music that i feel combines the lyrics, if a tad repatative, in most cases with the backing music.

i do like some hip hop stuff like the roots and some dj shadow stuff. however these are sort of the exception. i guess what im saying is i dislike the commercial crap, and dont mind some stuff but it does really provoke any response.

commercial rap however is even worse imo, and dont even get me started on all that 'mudda f**kin gangsta shit'. Is it just me or has the whole g unit 'thing' escaped you. hes even got his own shoes now, how much of a commercial gangsta!

hmmm im not a fan. for me when i listen to music is isnt entirely about the lyrics, or beat. I just find when ever i listen to hip hop i have to make a concious effort to listen to the lyrics and understand the meaning. i feel that this then takes away my enjoyment of music. i would prefer to be listening to 'good' dance sort of music that i feel combines the lyrics, if a tad repatative, in most cases with the backing music.

i do like some hip hop stuff like the roots and some dj shadow stuff. however these are sort of the exception. i guess what im saying is i dislike the commercial crap, and dont mind some stuff but it does really provoke any response.

commercial rap however is even worse imo, and dont even get me started on all that 'mudda f**kin gangsta shit'.  Is it just me or has the whole g unit 'thing' escaped you. hes even got his own shoes now, how much of a commercial gangsta!

Firstly "DANCE DANCE TECHNO TECHNO GLOW STICK GLOW STICK VWOM VWOM" repeated is not lyrics. HAHAHAHA, sorry that was me taking the piss out of dance. And about the whole 50 cent fella, he's rich, and if I had my own make of shoes I wouldn't give to poos and I'd take their money and say mmmmm thank you you fannies. FWAHAHAHA.

Funny you say that, another member of the forum thought the exact same thing when I was talking to them on MSN earlier.

At school all I used to listen to was Rap, Busta Rhymes, Mobb Deep, MOP, etc. etc. I thought Tim Westwood was amazing, then I got to College and got introduced to The Mars Volta, Radiohead, Muse, groups like that, and just loved it, now my playlist is a mix of hip hop, emo, punk, rock, alternative, acoustic stuff, indie, classical, etc. etc. I just appreciate music a lot now, I might only be 17 but I always listen to music, wherever I am, wherever I go, If I'm at home ive got music on through headphones or my speakers, no-matter what the time is, as soon as I wake up I put music on, when I go to College, or skating, or out, I take my iPod, so I can listen to stuff, I rely on music so much now, I love it, I couldnt live without it, but I rely on downloaded music way too much, I own about 5 CDs, which is discraceful as I have nearly 1500 songs now, I think when I get older and get a job, etc. etc. I will be out spending all my money on CD's and Vinyl even though MP3s/ digital music will be the future.

I will leave you with...

"Enter the river below..."

Shows how much my musical tastes have changed in 18 months or so :wub: .

does anyone on here listen to hip hop/garge/rap etc. just wondering.

None of this music is proper, they dont actully make music just get other peoples songs and put them together. Rock however is a totally different matter-this is proper music, it takes time to create a song and effort is actully needed.

Shows how much my musical tastes have changed in 18 months or so :- .

Spot on my son....spot on.

I never used to listen to half of the music I did a year ago, I used to think it was all crap. I don't know what changed it though, because I now love it.

I guess that's just part of growing up, your musical taste changes :)

(Doesn't stop my dad say what I listen to is crap everytime he walks past my bedroom though :wub: )

None of this music is proper, they dont actully make music just get other peoples songs and put them together. Rock however is a totally different matter-this is proper music, it takes time to create a song and effort is actully needed.

wtf!?!

it takes just as much effort as rock, and it is propper music. dont be so ignorant. :wub:

So, is that why live rap concerts have those band members on stage playing their instruments. Oh wait sorry no they don't. MIX MIX MIX.

Just because theyre not blasting away on guitars and screaming down the mic doesnt mean theyre not putting effort in. Go have a go on some decks, see how good you are :wub:

So, is that why live rap concerts have those band members on stage playing their instruments. Oh wait sorry no they don't. MIX MIX MIX.

look, this debate is blatantly never gonna be resolved because of difference in musical tastes. and thats cool, each to their own, but...

ive been producing hip-hop for a few years now and it sure as hell aint piss easy! Imo hip hop takes just as much time and effort to create as rock or any other "band" based music.

Put it this way a rock group can get together plug in their stuff ***, whereas hip hop is much more precise execution. You have to find a a sample which you think would make the BASIS of a tune cut it to length, usually timestrech it to fit a beat, which you have to create, thinking about which snare/hi-hat/kick drum ect sounds right for the song, then you may want to add synths and stuff, which may need effects put on them, so you have to find the right one etc etc. And all of this has to correspond with the mood and feeling of the lyrics!

trust me it is a long and lenghthy process.

Oh, and we do gigs with live drummers/percussion/female vocals, and thers a shite load of other hip hop groups who do. (check out www.fingathing.com for some downloads, when they gig they use an electric double bass and its awesome!)

Anyways thants my rant to try and persuade the narrow minded people on here that hip hop is a little more than just "MIX MIX MIX"

people just THINK before you open your mouths :wub:

Rob

(Doesn't stop my dad say what I listen to is crap everytime he walks past my bedroom though  :wub: )

My dad cant do that! A lot of my music is off his CDs (Squarepusher, Radiohead, Green Day0

I just realised I had a dream about me getting a PM from the Admin telling me all my posts had been really shit in the last week and stuff and giving me a right bollocking, how sad is that?!?!

People have different tastes they always will. Some people will love hiphop and hate rock or whatever, some the other way round, and others will have more of a mixed taste. There isnt anything wrong with that. If Danny chooses not to listen to hiphop then theres nowt wrong with that.

However there is a difference between not liking and ignorantly slagging off music. All this crap about hiphop doesnt have instruments so therefore is shit. Each type of music is bloody difficult to make in their own ways. It might not have instruments but all that sampling and mixing stuff is bloody hard to get it sounding like a good song! Likewise playing instruments well is bloody hard too. People saying things like that are very narrow minded and ignorant (imo)

Like what you want to just dont be a dick!

Thing is, though this is true, does it actually make the final music any worse?

I like Hip hop and RnB, and I like Rock, metal, and even classical equally as much. I Respect bands that made it them selfs more, but it doesn't make their music better.

I saw an intervew last week where j-lo was talking about her new song, and said 'first time I heard this i knew it was going to be a number one'. So Obviously she didn't write it; does it make it an instantly rubbish song? no. If it's not your thing your not going to like it, I happen to thing it's quite a cool song. Afterall, someone somewhere still wrote it...

Your arugment is just flawed, even if the artist who's name is behind the song didn't write it, it didn't just come from thin air, in the end music is music ~ the source is irrelivent, it's how good it sounds. Exactly like PlainLazy said, there is a line between not liking a musical form and being ignorant about it. I can easily see why people may not like Urban music for example, but saying there is no skill there, and it's not real music is just being ignorant and narrow minded. You can find plenty of 40 year olds who like Classical who would say exactly the same about the rock music your saying is so perfectly amazing...

Members of society just have these closed views to 'how it should be done', and tend not to accept other ways, it's been the same for hundreds of years with everything from art, to building design, to music.

Basically everyone is totally entitled to their own musical opinion, it's great that everyone likes different things, but just point blank saying one genre isn't even music... :wub:

I saw an intervew last week where j-lo was talking about her new song, and said 'first time I heard this i knew it was going to be a number one'. So Obviously she didn't write it; does it make it an instantly rubbish song? no. If it's not your thing your not going to like it, I happen to thing it's quite a cool song. Afterall, someone somewhere still wrote it...

Why does that mean she hasn't wrote it? She may of meant heard it after it came back from the Mixerooerererers.