24" Wheels

Tom-ass

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to sell my pure and buy a leeson 609. Which should be nice. But before I commit I would like to hear peoples opinions on 24" wheelsets... What rims do people use/reccomend? What variety is out there?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

There's actually a really big range of rims out there for 24inch, one of which will suit your needs I'm sure.

DMR deevee

The dmr rim is alright, fairly good strength, not welded though at the join just pinned. It's 32mm wide and has eyeletts so should be fine for most people. Comes with a machined sidewall ready for you to use rimbrakes, or grind...

Atomlab dhr

Very expensive, the only reason I have them on my jump bike is becuase I got them at 30 each. To be honest these rims didn't impress me, they aren't welded at the join, and don't come with a machined sidewall. They are light yes, but dent easily(mine, are dented to buggery) . Worth a look if you are smooth, want a light black rim, and like the logo's, but otherwise just get the....

Sun Rhyno lite xl

This rim has a good reputation, it's a good weight and a good price, eyeletted, welded machined and triple box design give it a good weight to strength ratio. Holds grinds really well as far as I know.

Tioga rim

Basically a combination of all the above, double eyeletted, welded join, black finish (which can be grinded) build into really great wheels. Get them while they are cheap.

I personally will be running the tioga rims on my 24, if I couldn't get those i'd get the Sun rim, and then I couldn't get those, I'd probably give the Dmr's a try.....

The above are the rims you should be looking at in my opinion, everything else is over heavy or not really suitable...When you get them built you may have difficulty finding good spokes in the right length. I'd recommend going to a good wheelbuilder, who, if he can't get the right length, has the tools to cut spokes to the right length so you can still use good quality ones.

Hope this has helped, add me to msn if you have any other questions.

Cheers

James

Sun rhyno lite rims ( best rim around, and ive used them since last year in march best rim you can get). TIOGA RIMS ARE CRAP, DANNY HOLROYD RECKED A SET.

Right tyres, tioga ant hard to get hold of, BILLY'S in cambs do them just call them up and they should hav them, BILLY'S is in MBUK, not hard to find, rear tyres you want is a 2.3 tigoa dh tyre. Front tyre you want a tigoa comp 3. beleave me mate these tyres will last you ages and the rim's too.

john shrewsbury :wub:

Edited by porthcawlstreetrider

Ah yeah, Sun DoubleWide, give the sidewalls a grind and thats a 46mm (I think) wide rim.

Like your gonna fit one of those in a leeson well... :wub:"

i know quick spider is using planet x BMF's front and rear on his ashton, the front is a little on the heavy side, so maybe go for something a little lighter.

Yea, these are probably the rim if your hardcore.... He's drilling a rhynolite for the front thats gonna be cool I think.

I have Atomlab Aircorps, there not bad, I got them VERY cheap 2nd hand mint with Halo Choir Boy Lite tyes and 3x DH tubes for £40...

I dented my rear rim, but I tend to do that alot cos im very unsmooth but there ok.

As for tyres, when my Halo's go (there not bad, bit iffy in wet) im gonna get Maxxis 2.5" ST for thr rear and a Spesh Roller Pro 2.5" for front.

So just because Danny Holroyd wrecked a set of tioga rim's makes them crap ?

Good logic there.  :(

Belive me they are crap, Ive seen ashton's 26inch rims and he's done alot to them.

Now he's running koxx rims, and im like :) wat the hell is this guy doing.

Sun rims and tioga tyres are the best you can get.