Eno Freewheels - Users Experiences?

Mark W

Hey all,

Got my new Eno (:)), and it's way nice. Haven't yet managed to get it on my bike though, 'cos I don't got no tools, and also 'cos I've stripped the extractor threads on my cranks.

Marvellous.

Anyway, I noticed that the freewheel's quite stiff. It spins smoothly and so on, it's just that it takes a lot of force to do so - does it bed in past this point and become a bit freer? Do you actually notice it when riding? Is there anything I should watch out for (there's no lock-ring issues with with the Claws though, I suppose)?

Thanks,

Mark.

Mine hasnt been too great, i dont really trust it now so i wish i had of just gone and got a profile set up really

Still it feels much nicer than an ACS but i still had a few skippage problems

Edited by CalopS

well firstly i had my KMC the wrong way up but this wasnt a problem with my ASC but it was with my ENO

After i got that sorted it still skipped sometimes, im really not sure i dont know if its me just not looking after/using it properly

hasnt skiped over the last few ride so hopefully its sorted itsself out :)

EDIT: yer sometimes it skiped when u freehweel for a bit then pedal right slow, i dont know why but it hasnt been a problem

Most people say that its never skiped once when doing actual trials just when there slowly riding along

Edited by CalopS

Mine always skipps when i am just riding about, but never whilest trialsing.

Mine is stiff aswell, makes your cranks spin when walking along side your bike, hitting you in the calfs :) But you can't feel it on your bike, untill you get on a bike with a different setup and it just glides...........weeeeeee.

But the match points are great, and its strength seems to be ok. Feels much more solid than an ACS.

B)

Well, mines be fine.

I think it's only skipped bout 5 times in total, all within the first few hours of using it.

It certainly hasn't skipped for a while (not that i've been riding much though)

Yes, it is stiff, mine even more so as waynio tightened it up for me when he fitted it, but it's not noticeable when you are actually riding it. When i first got it the cranks would spin with no clickage when i pushed the bike along, but now it has got noticeably smoother and it sometime clicks when i push, sometimes not.

The lockring has stayed tight since i got it, i haven't noticed anything wrong with it at all, and i haven't had to touch it once since i got it fitted.

I've porbably just totally jynxed it and it'll blow up in my face next time i go anywhere near it, but, in my opinion it's easily the bext freewheel and just as good as most profile set ups.

You've made a good buy :)

Oh yeah, the lockring has no part in holding anything in, its just there to keep the muck and grime out. It uses a differnt thing to hold everything in place, so you dont have to keep tightening it.

:)

Oh yeah, the lockring has no part in holding anything in, its just there to keep the muck and grime out. It uses a differnt thing to hold everything in place, so you dont have to keep tightening it.

:)

the lock ring(the green bit i assume ur talking about) is needed otherwise the cog will just slip off, or damage it if the lockring is not in place

mines pritty good slipped about 5-8 times when i first got it and now it doesnt slip at all

only problem is that i do actually have to tighten it every so often like once a month

one time my lockring popped off and a spring fell out (another reason why you need the lock ring)

Hey Toby,

I think JT! was saying that just 'cos ACS Claw's take a bit of work keeping them tight all the time, because the motion of the cranks spinning loosens the lock-ring plate.

Speaking of Claws - I was amazed at the difference in lateral strength between my Claw and my Eno. The Claw's all loosey goosey, but the Eno's just firm. No sideways play at all. Top qual :)

Hey Toby,

I think JT! was saying that just 'cos ACS Claw's take a bit of work keeping them tight all the time, because the motion of the cranks spinning loosens the lock-ring plate.

Speaking of Claws - I was amazed at the difference in lateral strength between my Claw and my Eno.  The Claw's all loosey goosey, but the Eno's just firm.  No sideways play at all.  Top qual :)

yeah its just some people might take what jt says litrally and think "oh i run it without a lock ring" but its not just jt who says it.

Which version do you have Mark? The 72 ratchet or 36?

I have the 36 ratchet one and it's been superb.

As for you're question on the stiffeness, I thought exactly the same when I got mine but the do free up so don't worry at all. I fitted mine and after 2 weeks it was spinning freely enough for crankflips and the like.

You shouldn't have any problems with it coming loose. The anodized cover is as someone said earlier simply there to keep grime out, the freewheel could function just as well without it providing you kept it clean. This is as the insides are all held in with a nice big circlip which means there aren't any issues with heavy skippage like on the ACS freewheels.

My freewheel has probably skipped about 3 times (only when riding along, not when putting a heavy amount of pressure through it) in the 8 months I've had it. I've never taken it off my bike and never needed to do any maintainance. If it ain't broke don't fix it :). As for the 72 ratchet I'm not sure. I know dave marshall had one and he really liked it, didn't skip often at all (about as much as a standard well maintained king) and it was usually just when riding along like the 32 ratchet one.

Cheers

James

Which version do you have Mark? The 72 ratchet or 36?

I have the 36 ratchet one and it's been superb.

As for you're question on the stiffeness, I thought exactly the same when I got mine but the do free up so don't worry at all. I fitted mine and after 2 weeks it was spinning freely enough for crankflips and the like.

You shouldn't have any problems with it coming loose. The anodized cover is as someone said earlier simply there to keep grime out, the freewheel could function just as well without it providing you kept it clean. This is as the insides are all held in with a nice big circlip which means there aren't any issues with heavy skippage like on the ACS freewheels.

My freewheel has probably skipped about 3 times (only when riding along, not when putting a heavy amount of pressure through it) in the 8 months I've had it. I've never taken it off my bike and never needed to do any maintainance. If it ain't broke don't fix it :). As for the 72 ratchet I'm not sure. I know dave marshall had one and he really liked it, didn't skip often at all (about as much as a standard well maintained king) and it was usually just when riding along like the 32 ratchet one.

Cheers

James

go on take it off and ride without it

Edited by toby

go on take it off and ride without it

I think the point is that you don't need to check whether or not it's loose all the time like you did with an acs, because the design on an eno means the revolution of the cranks won't undo the anodized part due to the circlip inside.

James

I think the point is that you don't need to check whether or not it's loose all the time like you did with an acs, because the design on an eno means the revolution of the cranks won't undo the anodized part due to the circlip inside.

James

you were talking about not having the anodized lockring though, i no they dont come loose (well mine did)

i was using the 36 ratchet version for around 6 months and it was fine very stiff felt so much nicer than my old claw, just make sure you keep it clean around the bearing department, i got dirt and all kinds of other gunk in me i cleaned it out and it was fine, skipped around 5 times in total always riding to places never when pulling moves :).

Edited by X-Lite_Rider

yeah its just some people might take what jt says litrally and think "oh i run it without a lock ring"  but its not just jt who says it.

I'm just passing on info that someone else told me. But no, i wouldnt ride without it, :rolleyes: .