Pc Audio Systems.....

BONGO

OK, in a car, you buy good speakers and a good head unit and it will play ok, up to a certain volume, before distortion.

The speakers can take it, but the actual signal being sent to the speakers is being distorted. The key point is that the speaker is still actually acurately playing the signal it receives.

SO.... Buying a good amplifier will then send good quality signals to the speakers to play.

I have bought some good speakers and a sub for my PC, but they are distorting. I know it isn't the speakers, so can i buy some kind of amplifier for the PC to send a better signal to the speakers.

I WANT THEM LOUDER*

*but also of good quality hehe

john

Distortion I thought was usually the speakers.. if the amp is putting out more watts than the speakers can handle, the speakers will try their best but they'll get to a point where they physically cant keep up and get all distorted.

The speakers you bought probably plug in, and therefore already have an amp inside them. So a weak signal comes from the computer, then something inside the sub amplifies it to, by the sounds of it, more than what your speakers can handle.

Sounds to me like your speakers are the problem, if you want louder speakers.. you gotta buy louder speakers :-

What impedance are the speakers?

Do you have a pre amp?

What wattage rating are the speakers you have?

What leads are you using?

If the answer to those questions is the following:

4, or 8 ohms

Yes I do, with an eq and source selector.

150 or above for 4 ohms, or 90 and above for 8 ohms

Really good ones, thanks.

Then the best quality sound will come from getting a seperate amp.

Check out studiospares for pro audio type stuff. The price ranges are huge so it depends on how much you can spend really, but if you've got about 120 quid then this

will be pretty good.

359-610.jpg

Three new RA series amps - RA150, RA300 and RA500 This series of affordable amps has three distinct power ratings. With their rugged construction and striking appearance they typify Alesis' approach to industrial design. The RA series will quickly find a home in project and commercial recording studios, broadcast and post-production control rooms around the world. Cool, quiet operation. Designed for studio use, each RA series amp incorporates advanced convection cooling for heat dissipation. The result is long, stable operation unaffected by heat-related complications, without the added distraction and annoyance of fan cooling. And eliminating the danger of losing hard-to-hear details due to noisy amp performance.

Should be pretty sufficiant. Really not sure how your sub connects but you could run 2 speakers here fine.

Another thing to check is, on the volume controls check that the setting on wave and vol isnt full as this distorts sound too. Have it about half way.

James

Check out studiospares for pro audio type stuff. The price ranges are huge so it depends on how much you can spend really, but if you've got about 120 quid then this

will be pretty good.

You seem to know your stuff.. Can you explain to me what RMS means? My current guess is its where agros/dixons/currys take the real output of the speakers, time them by each other, devide by a random number between 1 and 5, and round it up to the nearest 10, giving you a huge figure which any 10 year old can boast about claiming they have 150 watt £10 plastic speakers off ebay - am I close? :-

Average power output (in sine waves per cycle) is the rated power of the speaker, realistically. PMPO is the dodgy measurment where they claim Dell's plastic speakers are 200watts. I think :- It's the maximum handling power they coul;d take before blowing up (blagged from below)

I've only ever seen people use the measurement on shite computer stuff. It's pretty pointless really, just clever marketing to make people think they are buying more than they are.

James

edit: Just did some proper research into it:RMS power...

You seem to know your stuff.. Can you explain to me what RMS means? My current guess is its where agros/dixons/currys take the real output of the speakers, time them by each other, devide by a random number between 1 and 5, and round it up to the nearest 10, giving you a huge figure which any 10 year old can boast about claiming they have 150 watt £10 plastic speakers off ebay - am I close? :-

It is the Rounte Mean Square of the output, or the average power output. It is the true sustainable output of a speaker system. The stupid figures you see quoted are usually the peak output the system can sustain for a tiny fraction of a second before blowing up, and are utter tosh. Never go by peak output, always RMS. If the sales person can't/won't give you the RMS then don't go for the system it WILL be crap.

Haha pretty close! :D

Nah, RMS (root mean square) is the actual Watss output you will get.

For example, my speakers in my room are 120w rms, but their peak advertised wattage is 250w.

Thats what they do, quote the peak value

EDIT: beaten to it lol

Edited by JTM