Static Gaps

Mr Motivator

- Jump harder/faster

- Get right to the edge

- Use the tyre squidge to help you

If I do all that, I just flip out lol, and watching videos makes me depresed as I want to do it as well as they can :-

edit: adam, your avatar is also on the encounters dvd cover.. are you actualy in the dvd?

Edited by Sam@SouthTrials

Slighty connected with this, so I hope you don't mind Sam,

What is it called when you do this, bad foot forward, one powerful kick, switches you to you good foot, then you use the momentium and extra power to gap from that?

Its a very bad explanation :- sorry heh.

jump into the handle bars as much as you can, if you pause a vid of say TRA gapping, just after his taken off, youll notice his bars are right into his body.

in my mind theres two main techniques of gapping, if you watch the earlyer echo vids of TRA (where he gaps like 8,000ft to rail), youll see he really lifts the bike up.

but if you watch that new video of Vincent Hermance called jmpz, at about 3:38 his does a fu*king crazy gap but dont lift the bike up at all! play it in slow motion and watch his body through out the move :-

but we all no its down to ....

PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE!!!! :P

Dave hope ive helped :P

Back to the original topic, lower the front more, pull your leading pedal back a little more (so you have more 'travel' with it if you get me), and concentrate on sticking the back wheel outwards onto the object rather than just letting it hit the object.

Also, just practice! You soon get better naturally, without knowingly altering your technique. :-

Ok, just been out for a half hour blast.

I've just managed to go an extra half foot than before so I'm a bit happyer now :P

Ok, front wheel right at the edge of the ledge and then one very quick small low kick to the edge, no hopping, and Lunge like hell! Land pushing forward on the bars for smooth :S

I also found a new technique for wheelie hopping. I now start lifting the front wheel with my bad foot rather than lift and kick with good foot :)

its all practise mate whatch videos, use your legs more as a lever, and your back muslcles. i found my alibongo shite for gapping af first but once i got used to it, my technique was to get used to it was do a 45 degree = half a sidehop and half a normal gap.

It's a bit sucky for me at the moment too, 'cos I hugely upgraded my drive train :-

I used to have a Dicta with 16 (I think) engagement points, so it meant you had a huge distance between you pedalling and it engaging. So I kinda got used to that for pre-loading, but now I've got an Eno and when I preload the pedal it's at another engagement point already, so I've gotta reconfigure how I kick. It's hard to explain, but it's taking some learning...

Need to learn the tyre squidge thing. It's never really felt all that comfortable a method for me, but I know I should work it out.

Mark.

right im not saying its right but it seems to work for me i do a fairly big satic before i gap to try and carry the momentum more and i lower the wheel as much as poss and pull up asif trying to snap your bars and chain :">