Maguras Suck

Pugson

i recentley changed my rear brake from a maggie to a second hand xtr v btrake on a new xtr lever, i have fitted a carbon booster, and i can firmly say without a doubt it is the best brake i have ridden. maguras suck completeley. discs are mint aswell but frames just arent strong enuf for them. V-brakes rock :wink2:

when i discovered it worked aswel as i was hoping i took great delight in destroying my old magura.

Edited by Pugson

Theoreticly, maguras should be better. As they loose less energy, as they use fluid instead of cables.

Maguras have more on the brake blocks, lighter than v's (i think thye are anyway). Theres alot more blocks avalable. Etc, etc.

But if you happier...

Edited by JT!

It all depends on the set-up the rider uses imo, for instants a ground rim with koxx blocks will be much better performance than say a polioshed rim with black pads. I think you cant beat a maggie aslong as its set-up half decent so pads hit the rim at the same time and a nice stiff booster etc etc. But if your happy with your v use it until you fall on your ass.

Hmm, so if Maguras suck then I guess all those Elite riders (as well as the vast, vast, vast majority of riders) running at least one HS33 on their bikes are stupid?

There's no point in arguments like this, people have different experiences with both kinds of brakes, but the Magura (when working as it should) is better :-

I've used both, I prefer the feel of V's, and with abit of manintanence they are fine, but maggies are less hassle, they work whatever.

V's also go cranky for no real reason, they can go shite, and feel really bad with a knock of the wheel, cables need lubing, the pads wear at funny angles, theres not many pads about. but I still like them :-

I'm wrong, Heatsink pads are now out, that is no excuse!

Plaz arn't bad at all either mind! bit expensive maybe.

Theres nothing wrong, or amazing about running a rear V.

I went to a avid ultimate on the rear and well its the a lot nicer than a maggy in my opinion, i know a really nice set up maggy was great (i owned one) but they were quite tempremental, always seemed to be something wrong every now and then. Went to vee, with std pads on smooth rim wasnt brill, std pads on a ground rim was real good but wore down in like a week.

Got some plasmatic v flys and set them up prefectly on a smooth rim (6months ago) havent touched it since!!! Its been awesome, i prefer the feel and hasnt slipped majorly ever, no more than my maggy ever did anyway. Pads are looking very worn now, just orders some Heatsink vees and i look forward to another few months of really good braking and no maintainence :)

Pro riders will use them because their company's decided to put 4 bolt mounts on their frames so dont have much choice. Also theyll get new pads and rims etc when they want so they can make their maggy work well all the time...

Either way both are great, just had bad luck with my maggy so prefer my vee loads now!!!

Seb

i recentley changed my rear brake from a maggie to a second hand xtr v btrake on a new xtr lever, i have fitted a carbon booster, and i can firmly say without a doubt it is the best brake i have ridden. maguras suck completeley. discs are mint aswell but frames just arent strong enuf for them. V-brakes rock  :)

when i discovered it worked aswel as i was hoping i took great delight in destroying my old magura.

not even worth a reply really if you knew how to set a magura up you would have never have wasted money on an xtr v brake designed to give modulation braking

I would have went for a dx quicker but magura rule