Brutally Short Bb Life.

monkey_pork

Hmm, after no more than 40 minutes of very gentle riding my new FSA BB was cracking and banging so badly it was scaring people half a mile away. Stipping it out revealed that it must have started to break apart internally as it was weeping fluids everywhere and stank really badly [of machine oil] - not to mention the spectacular amount of play that the axle had now acquired.

As I've had Shimano BB's abused horribly for hard xc, and grinding commuting jobs that seem to last for ages - 40 minutes seems just that bit too short to me, so I'm putting this one down to just a bad 'un ... but is there something especially fatal about trials riding to BB's I need to watch out for (or is it really like most things, and just down to how one rides)?

Ta.

Which model? havent heard of that one...

Do you mean a platinum pro?

Ive have the ultimax extreme (worst fsa isis bb) and well thats has lasted fine for coming to 2years. No trouble with play or noise, feels a little stiff now but oh well i dont notice once cranks are on.

Where did you get it from, really sounds like you have a faulty one i would look into having it warrentied... just dont say you did trials (Y)

The FSA platinum pro is meant to be the best isis bb available.

And for square taper, the shimano UN72...

Seb

Which model? havent heard of that one...

Do you mean a platinum pro?

Ive have the ultimax extreme (worst fsa isis bb) and well thats has lasted fine for coming to 2years. No trouble with play or noise, feels a little stiff now but oh well i dont notice once cranks are on.

Where did you get it from, really sounds like you have a faulty one i would look into having it warrentied... just dont say you did trials  (Y)

The FSA platinum pro is meant to be the best isis bb available.

And for square taper, the shimano UN72...

Seb

It's a powerpro for sure.

I'd say this one was just made badly, so I'm sure I can get it sorted under warrenty from my lbs - and from even a quick look at the rubbish way I was riding today I can quite honestly say that I don't ride trials. (Y)

I've stuck a UN53 in for now (as that's all I could get today) (Y)

... so we'll see how well that one does (fine, I expect).

On the plus side though', I did get to buy a new BB tool as my original one was pretty much done in.

Aaah, I see now... it was a square taper one? The Power Pro square taper BBs do tend to have a bit of a reputation (Y)" (Used to work in a shop where most of the Marin XC bikes were fitted with them, eugh)

I've stuck a UN53 in for now (as that's all I could get today) (Y)

... so we'll see how well that one does (fine, I expect).

Good choice sir - should last at least as long as your frame (Y)

Good choice sir - should last at least as long as your frame (Y)

LOL - that could be read both ways ! (Y) but I know what you mean: thanks for the endorsement.

The reason for the BB's compressed lifespan has become much clearer now too ... (being as it was indeed square tapir, err, you know, endangered, black and white, long nose etc, hmm, oh no hang on, being as it was square taper ...).

Thanks too, to everyone who's commented.

Take note evreybody, anything with FSa and Powerpro writen on it shoudl be avioded, its just not worth it! Save up a bit more money adnd get somethig decent, its for your own good.

R.I.P jimbo, wont be long till ians power poo you're borrowing will go :turned: still at least your saying him from the pain

Edited by Scott@eastcoasttrials.com