Pain In Wrist

Michael Hardman

Right I can type perfectly fine but when it comes to writing and genrally moving my fingers (making a fist and undo that fist) I get a sharp pain through my wrist.

Its really bugging me as Im going to be riding with an injury that I dont know where it come from.

I will admit I crash a hell of a lot and land on all arts of my body mor than most but they just seem to go, this onw however seems here to say.

I dont know what to do.

you said it hurts when you grip or make a fist, and hurts in your wrist.. mine do that some times, might of been just because youve fallen, or it could be somthing to do with your elbow like tennis elbow ..iv got it and it can effect your grip on things, and can hurt in your wrists

look it up on google lol :ermm:

hehe i bet you was one of them sorta kids who liked having Mr Bump plasters  (Y)  :lol:"  :ermm:

Nah just badages for me, used to wear one every time a played football.

Oh the day the leg broke, I hated the leg cast that was a big bandage too far for me

Edited by Michael Hardman

Could it be the angle you're running your bars at? Have you changed that recently? I had similar problems back in the day when I ran flat bars, and it took a fair while to find the optimum place. I used to have right girl-ish, skinny little wrists, but now I run risers and I've bulked up my wrists (cue comments :ermm:), and it's not such a problem. Either that, or you're being raped from getting R.S.I. from using a computer with a sketchy keyboard :lol:

Have you fallen and given yourself a "dead hand" lately? Like when you hit yourself just by your thumb and your hand goes numb? If you've fallen onto your palms quite hard lately I guess it could be something like that?

Meh, don't get paid Doctor's wages 'cos I can't do a Doctor's job (Y)

Mark.

Hopefully nothing too serious then :ermm:

However, like Mark said, I had wrist problems when I used conventional flat bars. Low-rise risers (Pazzaz Carbon in my case) helped me out - they put your hands/wrists in a more ergonomic position.

If you put your arms out horizontally in front of you, and let your hands move to their natural orientation (palms down), they go pretty much flat. They DONT turn so your thumbs point to the floor and your little fingers go into the air - which is what 'Flat' trials bars are trying to do.

I had a problem with my wrist once upon a time many months ago.

I just kinda rested it a little the rode in discomfort every so often. It went away in the end, don't recall modifying my set up to solve the problem...

No pain these days as i don't ride :ermm:"

If it's been going on a while I reccomend going to see you doctor about it, if you ride and use a computer a lot and it's something more than just a bruise/strain you want to get it checked out so you're not just continually making it worse.

Other than that, think about picking up a wrist support and look at the ergonomics of your computer and bike (and anything else that could cause your wrist problems).

Really though, if it's an ongoing problem go and see the doctor. At the least they can give you some solid advice or pass you on to someone who really knows what they're talking about.

I'm going to add another vote for the "flat bar" problem. I used to ride with Monty and Brisa flat's, and I swear they actually damaged my wrists. It's a poor design. I then moved back to conventional risers, and now onto Zoo's, which I find perfectly comfortable. I don't seem to get any wrist problems now.

Might be worth trying out some trials risers like the Zoo or Pazzaz?

Really though, if it's an ongoing problem go and see the doctor. At the least they can give you some solid advice or pass you on to someone who really knows what they're talking about.

sorry but i have to disagree with you there, the docs dont know what the f**k they are on about, when i broke my wrist/arm i waited a long time before i rode again, just to make sure it had healed properly. but i get so many pains in it andit hurt that muhc i went back to the docs, where they got a bone scan and mri scan done on it, went back and he says, looks like you have had a break in your wirst, (as if i didnt know that already) took them months to tell me that, something i already knew (Y) sorry i really dont have faith in doctors, mainly becuase they said i had a stomach ache, next morning i end up with a burst appendix. :blink: ah well. your going to have to live with it mike

sorry but i have to disagree with you there, the docs dont know what the f**k they are on about, when i broke my wrist/arm i waited a long time before i rode again, just to make sure it had healed properly. but i get so many pains in it andit hurt that muhc i went back to the docs, where they got a bone scan and mri scan done on it, went back and he says, looks like you have had a break in your wirst, (as if i didnt know that already) took them months to tell me that, something i already knew  (Y)  sorry i really dont have faith in doctors, mainly becuase they said i had a stomach ache, next morning i end up with a burst appendix.  :blink:  ah well. your going to have to live with it mike

Its gone though, a day of riding on Thursday should test it out. Staines for me, chav central

sorry i really dont have faith in doctors, mainly becuase they said i had a stomach ache, next morning i end up with a burst appendix.  (Y)

Lol same thing happend to me they told me i had an infection and insted it was appendicitus (sp?) mine didnt burst though :)

Broken wrists are really hard to see though. They're easily missed. Don't blame the Doctor, blame you for breaking it. Or at least for not breaking it seriously enough for it to show up on X-Ray.

Annnnyway. I've never had any problems with my Monty bars and my wrists. But I did solve a few back pain problems by altering my setup.

Maybe you've just hurt your wrist by pulling a muscle/stretching a tendon in your wrist? From gripping the bars too hard?