Dvd Regions

Olly C

Hey people,

Just wanted to know a few things.. Basically If I was to buy a Region 1 coded DVD would it work on my PC's DVD player? If not then is there a way I could download something so that it would work or is it hardware related?

Also if anyone has any knowledge on Region X stuff for the PS2 post here aswell.

Cheers Olly

When I try to play a region 2 DVD in my Pc through media player, it comes up telling me I have got my settings as Region 1, and it wont let me change them :ermm:

But if I play it through power DVD player it runs fine. So I suspect it depends on the player you use for play back on computer.

Though I'd wait for someone to back me up / Tear me down before you make a final choice! :lol:

What model is your dvd player? you can get codes to crack the dvd player so it will play all regions. Do a google search with the model number (Y)

My DVD player is either going to be my PC (hense the question) or I'll have to get a region free disk for the PS2, just need to know if PC's are/can be region free if not what region free disk is best to get for the PS2 and will I need anything else?

Olly.

You can actually change you PC's DVD region (Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device manager, DVD drive properties). But, they only allow 5 changes or something. So that's not ideal.

For most DVD drives, I think you can flash the firmware on them so that they will play any regions. It should just be a case of a bit of hunting on Google, and it's easy, but there is a small risk that it could kill the drive if you do it wrong.

Or I think you might be able to use different DVD playing software, but I can't help there (Y)

the region x disk for the ps2 aint bad at all you get 6 regions to choose froma nd works every time mate.

Pauly (Y)

Which one do you have? Lets have a link to a site with the same one if you can :blink:

Also which model PS2 do you have? Do you have the one with the IR port on the front (newer model not slim PS2 though) I've got a silver one and I've read that some only work with older PS2's.

Cheers Olly

As stated above , you can switch back and forth , but only about 5 times (depending on manufacturer .) After the last one , your player will be locked into whatever setting you chose , so be careful or the majority of your DVD collection could be locked out .

I just bought Manifesto from CRC, but it says it's got "No Region" - can it be played on a computer/a standard, generic UK-bought DVD player?

Yup. Region-free means it's not limited to any region.

Either that or it won't play in any DVD players. That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Flash your drive so it is RPC1 (not region locked or lockable) by going to The Firmware Page. There are firmware flashes for most drives. That is step one.

Unfortunately Windows XP is the same, in that it gives you a small number of region changes.

Fortunately you can do the same as me and use DVD Region Killer to tell the computer that the disc you are playing is really from the region your PC is already locked to (read it again if that didn't make sense the first time). I have a copy of the program from back when it was still freeware (thankfully) so I think that means it's alright if I send you a copy... I'll be in touch Olly. I have to find it first because it's been a while since I installed it.

And that's all you need, except DVD playing software.

I don't know if you would need the software for other versions of Windows.

Edited by Monkey