Pc Help

Swize

hi

My other pc seems to of just messed up l8ly, when i press the turn on button it turns on and the cd drive LED's flash and the ones on the frount case but it doesunt turn on :unsure:

Its like it turns on then doesunt boot off the harddrive.

Any suggestions ?

Sam

If all the obvious answers don't work your best bets to take it into a decent computer shop. It could be anything... Button moved slightly so the wrong circuit boards get hit etc.

Its only a simple PTM switch :unsure:

Anyway if you get nothing at all then its a hardware problem not software. Try taking the side off and giving any cards a wiggle and make sure all the cables are in snugly (Y) Do you get any beeps?

After yuo've switched it on and it doesn't work, try pressing reset, see if anything happens.

Does the monitor make any changes at all? Like does the green light come on and then go back to standby or anything? Can you test the monitor in another PC, or try a different monitor?

Does it sound like everything's normal? I.e. does it sound like it's booting windows (you can hear the hard drive click for about a minute after you turn it on), or does it just stop and you can only hear the fans?

Have you changed any hardware at all recently, or moved the PC (dropped it?)?

sometimes if a cable is loose or connected wrongly the pc simply won't boot.

Once I was fixing a friend's computer (It wouldn't boot), and I opened it up to discover that there the CPU had fallen out :unsure: (It was one of those old P3 slot CPU's that look a bit like a stick of RAM). So yeah, make sure the CPU is in (Y)

Once I was fixing a friend's computer (It wouldn't boot), and I opened it up to discover that there the CPU had fallen out :unsure:  (It was one of those old P3 slot CPU's that look a bit like a stick of RAM).  So yeah, make sure the CPU is in (Y)

haha thats nothing. I once finished building up my PC and i went to turn it on and nothing happened, so i opened it up to check all the cables were connected and checked all the jumpers and everything, tried it again and nothing happened. It took me about 15 mins to realise that the little switch on the back of the power supply was tuned off. :">

I put a new dvd drive in but tthe problem didunt start straight away .

The monitor does not change from stand by when you yurn the pc on.

Presseing reset doesunt do anything.

Basickly i press the turn on button the LED's flash on the 2 dvd drives and the case thats it, it misses out the beep and you carnt hear the Hard Disk loading up :unsure:

Sam

Edited by samthebiker

i used to get this on mine,

i just kept pressing reset until it beeped and booted up.

after i put some silver grease on the cpu it didn't do it again.

porbably totally un reated solution so i repeat:

turn it off and unplug it

open it up

double check all the cables connecting to everything (power switch, reset button, hdd's, dvd drives etc.

give it all a nice dust whilst you there

put it back together and give it another try.

I really don't think anything will be physically broken, the pc is probably just a bit 'confused' .

Edited by RicH_87

You say you put a new DVD drive in?

Make sure the jumpers on the back of the drive are set to primary and slave, and that they are in the correct places on the cable. I installed a new hard drive yesterday, and put it as a slave, because I presumed the other one was a master, but it was infact a master as well.

The confuses the hell out of the computer, and it would get to the POST screen, and just freeze. Might be worth trying anyway?

If not, trying resetting the CMOS. There should be a set of three pins on the board somewhere, there should be a jumper on pins 2 and 3. To reset it, just move the jumper to pins 1 and 2 for a couple of seconds (while the computer is off), then move it back to pins 2 and 3. (You'll then have to enter the time and date and stuff again, but it may fix the problem)

You say you put a new DVD drive in?

Make sure the jumpers on the back of the drive are set to primary and slave, and that they are in the correct places on the cable. I installed a new hard drive yesterday, and put it as a slave, because I presumed the other one was a master, but it was infact a master as well.

The confuses the hell out of the computer, and it would get to the POST screen, and just freeze. Might be worth trying anyway?

If not, trying resetting the CMOS. There should be a set of three pins on the board somewhere, there should be a jumper on pins 2 and 3. To reset it, just move the jumper to pins 1 and 2 for a couple of seconds (while the computer is off), then move it back to pins 2 and 3. (You'll then have to enter the time and date and stuff again, but it may fix the problem)

Yer i think it could be that cuz i have 2 dvd drives in ill unplug the other 1 as its no use

:lol:

Cheers for all the help

Sam