Imigration

RicH_87

Should imigration to the UK be allowed  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should imigration to the UK be allowed

• Yes, they bring valuable skills and diversity to our nation.
    • No, they bring crime and cause racism.
    • Yes, but they should be closely monitored.

I've just been watching a show about imigration and noticed they didn't have any people on that were under 21 years old, so just wanting to know the general youths view.

I know a lot of young people aren't politically minded enough to have a good view on this sort of thing but i still believe we should have our say.

so anyway, until recently i was against imigration because i believed that people were coming over here and living off the state rather than earning their keep and giving something back to this country,however it could be argued that alot of people who are born in this country do the exact same thing...

After watching the show i think 'vei managed to sum up my view. I believe people should be allowed into the country but only on a temporary basis, (say 18 months). After being in this contry for a ceratin amount of time they should be able to prove that they are here with good intentions and are able to get and hold down a job and pay all the taxes and so on that 'real' british residents pay. They should also expect to follow our laws and accept our views without causing conflict. By this i mean they can voice their opinion as-well and practice any religion they see fit, however they must repect british rules and customs aswel. (in other words, they should not act in a racist manner towards the british people)

In return 'we' should accept them and give them an equal opurtunity to make a good life for themself in this country.

In summary, i think imigration has given a lot to this country and can still ofter it even more in the future, however i think the laws should be tightened up so that all the criminals and 'bums' are filtered out.

My view is basically, "when in rome, do as the romans do"

I can't see this thread being open long. There was a thread in NMC that had the word "Asian" in it, and it instantly became 4 pages of "f**king pakis should go home". Could give you direct quotes if you want, but that quotation sums it up. People seem to have a really odd, strange, unrealistic view of asylum seekers/immigrants; and it largely seems to be the view put across by tabloid newspapers. This is of course the "OH MY GOD, MILLIONS OF FOREIGNERS COMING OVER, LIVING OFF OUR BENEFITS, STEALING YOUR JOBS, SLEEPING IN YOUR BED" sort of melodrama. Ironically, they at the same time complain they're stealing money from the government, yet also 'stealing all our jobs'? At the end of the day, it's illegal immigrants who are the problem. People who are emigrating here with 'genuine' reasons - it's fair enough. Asylum seekers are fair enough too, seeing as if their country is shitty maybe they'd want to move here? America was boosted hugely by Irish asylum seekers who we caused to have to go there, so I guess we're no better than some of the places these people are seeking to leave. Anyway, yeah, ILLEGAL immigrants are the problem because they're here in an unregulated manner and will try and take what they can. Not all of them admitedly seeing as there are those who are seeking asylum from persecution/whatever, who found it easier to just get into the country as an illegal alien. However, the "Pakis go home" sorta mindset is properly shit. I don't get how people think it's acceptable for us to go on holiday to places or stay in other countries, yet anyone who does that here is a lazy free-loader or whatever. It's just shit, I think people seriously need to open their minds a bit more. It's not such a huge case of "Us and them" as a lot of people seem to make it.

Mark.

P.S. Wouldn't it be shitty atttitudes of people here causing the racism? Seeing as if they're illegals they'd want to keep a low profile? It'd be like a Man Utd. fan going into the Chelsea stands and shouting "Chelsea are wankers" and expecting to walk away. Some people would obviously, but I'm thinking the majority wouldn't.

first , the word packi is offensive only if perceived as a derogodary term for an asian

however if used in the context of describing a man from packistan im sure he and i would have no problem

same with the word nigger , its only offensive because it has been used in an offensive context , but when used to describe a man from nigeria it is inoffensive. my 2 cents on racism but

i do beleive immigrants and asylum seekers should be allowed to come and live here , but they as stated in the top post need to be monitored and if theyve committed a crime withing the first say 2 years be deported or are out of wqork for more than 6 months within the first two years or something along those lines

same with the word nigger , its only offensive because it has been used in an offensive context , but when used to describe a man from nigeria it is inoffensive. my 2 cents on racism but

That word doesn't derive from "Nigeria" you know. It derives from "negro" and has altogether darker connotations than the term "paki". Thanks to the historical connotations that word will nearly always be offensive, no matter what the nationality of the subject of the comment may be. The only reason you're able to say it's not offensive is due to the 'reclamation' of the term by black Americans over the last 30 years and it's subsequent abundance in media (films, music, etc).

As for immigration, in short (and as you probably expect): I have absolutely no time for the Daily Mail "Oh my god! They're all criminals, living off our taxes and stealing our jobs and cars" attitude. People are people, who cares where they were born? Why should someone be treated differently in the eyes of the state because they were born in a different country?

I'd imigrate.

I try to keep an open mind.

To finish, I'll do a totally unrelated (to my opinion), and very sarcastic quote from Mr. Steven Lynch.

if I could be a superhero,

I'id be a immigration dude.

I'd send all the foreigners back to their homes,

for eating all of our food.

and taking our wellfare, and best jobs to boot,

like landscaping, dishwashing, picking our fruit.

i'd pass a lot of laws to get rid of there brood,

cause id be immigration dude

For the slower of you; Mr. Lynch is a comedian. The quote directly above this line is not meant seriously, but only as a joke. HE IS NOT RACIST, NEITHER AM I. OK?

I agree with what people are saying about the 2 year trial thing.The only foreign people i have a problem with is the gangs that hang about on streets and threaten people. was you all taught to behave when your at someone elses house when you was little, so you should in someone elses country. Just look at that guy who had no driving liscense etc and hit that little kid who died, Its these people that i see as the problems. I also think that people who immigrate then have children and are called english shouldnt be, because say there was a war with thier parents country i dont think they would fight for us. This may all sound wrong to you all but its what i think

I think these people have a right to enter other countries seeking better lives for themselves and their families. However, I think that those who are allowed into the country should undergo a full health check to ensure that nobody with TB, HIV etc. is allowed entry into the UK. Furthermore, it would be nice if these people had qualifications which would benefit the UK. But, this would be a problem as there aren't really any decent schools/colleges in these poor countires, perhaps the richer countries could work together to produce a foreign schooling system in the 3rd world that will provide people with a chance to get a degree, provided that once they have completed the course, they must come to work in one of the richer countries. This way, they would easily pay off the debt that the richer countries pay to build and maintain these schools by using their learned knowledge to work in the richer countries. A chance like that would be extremely appealing to these poor people and I think it could be a huge success.

Just an idea.

That word doesn't derive from "Nigeria" you know. It derives from "negro" and has altogether darker connotations than the term "paki". Thanks to the historical connotations that word will nearly always be offensive, no matter what the nationality of the subject of the comment may be. The only reason you're able to say it's not offensive is due to the 'reclamation' of the term by black Americans over the last 30 years and it's subsequent abundance in media (films, music, etc).

As for immigration, in short (and as you probably expect): I have absolutely no time for the Daily Mail "Oh my god! They're all criminals, living off our taxes and stealing our jobs and cars" attitude. People are people, who cares where they were born? Why should someone be treated differently in the eyes of the state because they were born in a different country?

* acknowledges own mistake *

i was taught it meant man of the niger ( ny jer ) but i know know otherwise , although i still do beleive words only have an offensive effect because people choose to take offense to them / use them in an offensive context ,

i also beleive that the daily mail attitude towards immigrants is rather bourgeoisie

but they are nazi's (jk)

i have no problem as long as they dont mooch or commit crimes but then again it would be unfair to get deported for speeding or getting a parking ticket wouldnt it

makes you think

Just look at that guy who had no driving liscense etc and hit that little kid who died, Its these people that i see as the problems.

People should really stop bringing that up. One illegal immigrant killed someone, and suddenly every foreigner is a freeloading b*****d criminal who hates babies. It's stupid. Oh well.

And no-one uses the word "paki" to describe someone from pakistan, it's always used derogatarily (sp?) to describe anyone who looks vaguely asian...

I am an immigrant, doesn't mean i'm off stealing cars and shit :P , maybe people should stop using the word immigrant, as it seems like the majority of people don't actually know what it means :lol: if someone was to to say, my best friend's an immigrant, i bet you a good percentage of people would instantly assusume that im asian, probably not working, "living" off the state and generally being a shit, whereas in reality im white, english, have a job and im a fellow trials rider (Y) i forget my point but i hope you all roughly get what im talking about :P :P

Edited by rhythm_101