Any Physics/engineering people

cant_ride

does anyone know all the basic equations for circular motion as i kinda missed the lecture.

ie what would i need to work out questions such as the following ( dont need to know how to work it out just what formula i need )

"determine the optimum spindle speed of a lathe when a cylindrical piece of metal of diameter 10.7cm is being machined. The optimum cutting speed of the metal is 75m per minute"

cheers

oli

ie what would i need to work out questions such as the following ( dont need to know how to work it out just what formula i need )

"determine the optimum spindle speed of a lathe when a cylindrical piece of metal of diameter 10.7cm is being machined.  The optimum cutting speed of the metal is 75m per minute"

You don't need a formula for that mate!

Just calculate the circumference... and go from there (Y)

You dont even need equations of motion...

Circumference = 0.107/pi

And then 75m/answer = RPM.

great! but i didnt want the answer.... i needed the equations of circular motion if there are any .... such as centripetal accn. centripetal force that kinda thing ???

that question might have been a bad example.. i already had that answer but picked it randomly from a sheet ..hmm

oli

Don't waste your money on books! All my Uni ones I barely read because they were'nt very readable and had too much detail.

Best really is to gen up on subjects from different sources on the internet such as the ones Adam pointed out. So much easier for it to make sense when you can contrast two different explanations.

Then if you want to find more worked examples, borrow some books from the library. In my experience I rarely want to use less than a few percent of the info in any sciencey book since there is usually too much irrelevant and in too much detail stuff.

Steve

Prezunctly!

Library me up  (Y)  (Y)  ;)

Librarys rock, I'm in my 2nd year of a history degree and have only bought one book! and that was on criminology lol ;) Two of my housemates on the other hand do business degrees and have paid up to £100 on 3 books (Y)

Pete

Here comes some avce engineering for you ;)

you need to know what the metal is first as different metals have different cutting speeds

eg.

Mild steel cuts at 26m per min

Brass cuts at 50m per min

aluminium cuts at 100m per min

to name a few

The formula for working out rpm on a lathe is

(c.sx1000)/(3.142xdia)

eg

aluminium that is 30mm wide

(100x1000)/(3.142x30) = 1060 rpm ;)

Hope this helps, Bon

Here comes some avce engineering for you  ;)

you need to know what the metal is first as different metals have different cutting speeds

eg.

Mild steel cuts at 26m per min

Brass cuts at 50m per min

aluminium cuts at 100m per min

to name a few

The formula for working out rpm on a lathe is

(c.sx1000)/(3.142xdia)

eg

aluminium that is 30mm wide

(100x1000)/(3.142x30) = 1060 rpm  (Y)

Hope this helps, Bon

ho ho i did AVCE engineering before this too.

thats not really the stuff I need... I've already got all that stuff in my head... as I said its the stuff about centripetal forces and acceleration.

thanks anyways.

oli