Best Laptop For £500

JTM

Ive bought a medion £500 laptop from kwik save as it seemed like a really good spec for the money. Now ive got it up and running im a bit dubious. The fan is truly pissing me off as it is way louder than it should be and keeps kicking in. After reading a few forums and reviews, it seems that its the pentium4 chip which causes these noises as its basically a desktop processor and therefore needs ample cooling. So now Ive seen a few Acer laptops that are basically the same spec but with a different processor and they look nicer too. Can ayone shed any light on what I should do? Its a desktop replacement and therefore things like battery life etc arnt that important as it wil be plugged in most of the time. I dont play many games and they are old ones at best. Any ideas for NO MORE than £500?

Bennifer I dont get what your trying to say?! lol

Youre using the laptop to do the same job as a normal PC. Normal PCs are generally large, powerful, and therefore need extra cooling (and therefore loud).

Laptops are small, portable, and quiet.

So, you cant really have all these features without spending a shedload.

Get a shuttle....

That would mean Id need a shuttle with a decent spec and a flat screen tft for £500(i wanted minimal so im not getting a big monitor!) Can anyone point me in the right direction? No one had experience with Acer laptops?

Thing is, this is the first laptop ive EVER heard that is this loud?!

Edited by JTM

Cheap

Fast

Quiet

Put your finger over the two of those that are the most important and you dont get what isnt covered! IE Cheap anf fast wont be quiet. That make sense? Just go for one of the slower Centrinos... What are you trying to use this laptop for?

Only surfing, movies and music really. With the odd game.

For instance, before I was in the bath and anted to watch a film. Running off the battery the fan was on constantly and therefor you couldnt hear piss all.

Could i get a shuttle with onitor for 500? Or a quiet laptop even?!

Could i get a shuttle with onitor for 500? Or a quiet laptop even?!

Yeah probably. Can get TFTs for £120 or so these days, so I'd say yes. If it was AthlonXP-based (Can you still get AthlonXPs?).

You might have to build it yourself though...