Fork Damage?

STEVE-0

What causes most damage to our forks?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What causes most damage to our forks?

• Hooks
    • Front Bumps
    • Endo's and fropnt hops
    • Going to front wheel
    • Having a great brake
    • Some other weird, unlikely reason.

Id say hooks. 5 years of bumps on the same pashley forks (still staight and in one piece) tells me that its not bumps. I cant hook either. Interestingly though, the P bones i had on my Kona caldera were prime suspect for it cracking. I learnt taps on the Kona with the Pbones on and after a year or so the Kona crackedjust behind the headtube on the downtube. I put this down to Pbones being stiff and aluminium and the Knoa being a steel XC frame.

Edited by steve sturt

I my self am scared of braking things. My Friend ben always tells me not to worry, I see what he means now. He is really good now and is trying new bigger stuff all the time. OK... yer it is annoying when you break stuff, but the fear of breaking stuff limits the new moves you can try. I say go for it, although don't hurt you self :blink:

I would never not try something in fear of braking my bike, if your getting that good, you deserve to get some better forks. Its got to be front hooks, front bump thing (not even sure exactly what they are) only tap the forks, nothing your wouldn't get when MTBing.

Its mainly tapping and hooking that do the most damage, the tapping bends the fork one way and hooking the other! Bad for your fork, not that we are gonna stop though :blink:

oh yeah bonded steerers and badly designed/made forks don't help

Mike

Edited by leedstrials

hooking, think about it, loads of force goes through them when you put all of your weight on them plus the force of you jumping to get the rest of the bike up.

i cant see tapping being quite as bad, but i dont tap much so i wouldnt know (Y)"

:P

front bump thing (not even sure exactly what they are) only tap the forks, nothing your wouldn't get when MTBing.

i dont think so matey....

when u start doing really big front touches its no longer a glance, but more of a full on flat out twat into the wall hard and low down!

pierre was watching me the other day, and he said the amount my forks flexed backwards as i hit the well was obscene!

ive just spent 20mins looking for a pic of vincent hermance.... but i cant find it....

its kicking around somewhere, him touching a wall close on 5ft tall, his works have flexed back about 4''!!!!!

hooks and taps kill forks for sure

hooking, think about it, loads of force goes through them when you put all of your weight on them plus the force of you jumping to get the rest of the bike up.

i cant see tapping being quite as bad, but i dont tap much so i wouldnt know  (Y)"

:P

Amen to that.

Hooks are worse for the forks than taps thats for sure.

Rossi.

i dont think so matey....

when u start doing really big front touches its no longer a glance, but more of a full on flat out twat into the wall hard and low down!

pierre was watching me the other day, and he said the amount my forks flexed backwards as i hit the well was obscene!

ive just spent 20mins looking for a pic of vincent hermance.... but i cant find it....

its kicking around somewhere, him touching a wall close on 5ft tall, his works have flexed back about 4''!!!!!

hooks and taps kill forks for sure

I was talking about that pic with someone the other day but i cant think where i have seen it :P if any one has it please post it (Y) :P

i've got a bonded steerer  (Y)  (giant forks)

would tuf guys be stronger?

adam

I hope so. Nothing for me to worry about really, £40 for some new forks is nothing.

Are there any forks which are really flexy, which MAY give you even more bounce on bumps and more spring on hooks?????

Front hooks will be worst I reckon. Front touches will only really be bad when you SMACK the front wheel into it, if you just 'tap' it like your supposed to it'd be fine.

But meh, I don't front touch because I ride mod and reckon it's more a 26" move (although I can do it abit).