Sidehop Damage

Dr. Nick Riviera

ok im curently learning sidehops , ( well i can do them but am trying to go bigger )

and i killed my mech hanger and qr on a small wall .

is there any way of preventing this damage or is it a learn to do it properly or reap the consequences jobby?

cheers

a very skint and disgruntled charlie .

ok im curently learning sidehops , ( well i can do them but am trying to go bigger )

and i killed my mech hanger and qr on a small wall .

is there any way of preventing this damage or is it a learn to do it properly or reap the consequences jobby?

cheers

a very skint and disgruntled charlie .

Learn to sidehop the opposite way?

Go single speed, Jimbo on here did finally after enough encouragement and he got a dmr thing the new thing they bought out.

He managed to bend it into shape and tension the thing enough upwards that it slotted right inbetween his spokes and chainstay so it is out of the way, so no damage.

Go single speed, Jimbo on here did finally after enough encouragement and he got a dmr thing the new thing they bought out.

He managed to bend it into shape and tension the thing enough upwards that it slotted right inbetween his spokes and chainstay so it is out of the way, so no damage.

i am currently singlespeed , albeit a locked out mech and still running a cassette

hmm

well looks like ss is the way forwards

Don't learn the opposite way... yet. It's best to go to your back-foot side so you don't (as you say) hit your pedal on the way up. If you sidehop close to something (you may have to, in comps for example) then it's best to have the pedal clearance.

As for the mech/QR, most of us have done that. I ripped a nice new Hope skewer out of the backwheel once, but that can happen either side. Probably best putting the cam/lever bit on the non-drive side if you're hopping to the right...

Once you do get sidehops dialled, it isn't that much harder to go the other way. A weeks practice and you'll be doing both ways to a similar height.

MIne's bodged with zip ties lmao. Works fine though, quite hard to get it right but I can post a picture if anyone's interested. The best thing about it is that the mech can move if you hit a wall and you just twist it back round. Only problem is getting chain tension right, requires perfect chain length lol.

There isn't much you can do but try singlespeed really...Or like somebody said sidehop the other way. I am left footed and sidehop to the left, and never hit my mech :)

Ps Am i the only one who sidehops the same way as my good foot, as its really annoying me because everyone else seems to sidehop the opposite way to their good foot... :blink:I never have problems with catching my pedal, and i can do just under bar height :(

Edited by scunnytrials

Get a steel sheet and put some holes in it and then put it over your mech hanger. Its a bit of a mission but its works really well and dont cost or weigh much! :)

Ad101 did it with 3mm thick steel, m8 thread through the steel and old mech hanger (then big new bolt), he lands on it all the time :(

gallery_3175_13_62678.jpg

sorry about 'ter blur...

steve

I sidehop to my left at first and I am left foot forward, my mate also does the same as me but one day he sidehop to his right and stuck at it even though he is on mod but still he improved alot he seem to get on the wall more easier and on it everytime, as he sidehop to left takes a few goes. So i started to side to my right and after a few goes I find it easier to side to right I get higher and that but I always put my foot down so I dont hit mech not good really as I should be giving it my all. I have hit my Mech and bent the hanger in a bit so my chain kept chainging so that was crap.

yeah...i did what steve-o said :(

works a treaty...

t'other thing i did was to put an extra spacer either side of my "trials" gear (on my cassette) so that if i bend the hangar slightly (i have yet to with my reinforcement) it won't skip into another gear...

requires you to take an unused sprocket out... :)

adam

PS: i am left foot forward...sidehop to mech