Got My Avid.

JT!

No you're right. One piston moves, hits the disc, the disc bends slightly and then hits the other pad. But unless you're used one, do NOT say it's a shit design. It works amazingly well - the simplicity makes it.

I think the only contender for "best trials disc" would be the Hope Trial. But seeing as that is twice your budget and almost three times the price of the Avid... But yeah, by all means get a (*snigger*) Louise (Y)

is that aimed at me?  (Y)   never sed anythin bout it bein poo?

Nah i think was aimed at me...i thought that mechanical disks worked on the 'one side moves and the other dosn't' system, and on hydraulics both move.

But on all disk brakes, only one side moves, i am right?

And has the reason that pumping thing got anything to do with the autmatic pad wear ajustment. Becuase that would kind of make sence.

Basicly if shit hits the fan theres nothing stopping me for selling it on and buying an avid. I know you'll say buy one now and save some money, which may well be true, but if i waste £40, i still have the experience of having a hydraulic disk, and i will have something to compare the avid to. Basicly any disk is going to feel nicer than a maggie, and i have never rode a disk, ever, so anything will feel good.

Edited by JT!

Basicly any disk is going to feel nicer than a maggie, and i have never rode a disk, ever, so anything will feel good.

dear me young man, u have much to learn...

maggies can feel ace, and work plenty good enough

front v brakes can work ace, and work plenty good enough

discs can feel shit and not work at all!!!

it appears u r lacking a little experience. i suggest u get urself off to a big group ride with some decent guys, with a lot of experience. all will be willing to help u out, and offer u their wisdom. most will be quite happy to let u try their setup, and offer advice on how best to set brakes up.

brakes are all down to qualoty of setups. the main idea with discs is they are far more reliable source of dependable braking, less prone to momentary contamination (water n shit on ur rims) but suffer from permenant contamination of pads/disc (unless ur really lucky and can clean em proper)

but get out and try some brakes!!! don't just assume that buying any hydraulic disc is the way forward! u may find that u really like someones v-brake setup that cost £30! i've got an Acera X v brake, with an old no name lever, with shitty frayed cable and bog standard fibrax pads on an old bike, and they are wicked powerful!! swapped em onto ma koxx because they worked better than the xtr setup i had (Y)

again, get out and try some brakes. u'll soon find what u do and don't like, and save urself a ton load o cash in the process

good luck fella!!!

smithy

is that aimed at me?  (Y)  never sed anythin bout it bein poo?

Nah, it was at JT!.

But on all disk brakes, only one side moves, i am right?

No, I'm pretty sure all hopes have at least 2 pistons that move (one on either side). Some have 4 or even 6 (Hayes?).

dear me young man, u have much to learn...

Too right.

I live in an 'out of the way' place really, and don't drive so i don't really get to go on big rides. Theres only 3 of us really here in Whitby, and non have disks. I have never even ridden a mod (or stock for that matter) with a disk.

The reason i wanted one realy was to get rid of the inconsistancey you get with maggies, a tad of water on the rim, and all the power goes, and i don't want to grind the front rim, as i would loose the goodish modulation i have at the moment on a clean non-ground rim. Also going down steep hills and getting the rims really hot makes the brake really grabby, but no modulation.

I have also started doing gaps to front wheel i though that a disk would help.

Edited by JT!

well, effectively, a rim brake is a massive disc brake! u've got a 2 pot caliper (pushes in from both sides) on a 20in rotor! but yeah, as i was sayin, u get water on a tarred front rim, and it'll get messy (Y)

if ur serious about a hydraulic disc, its worth savin the extra cash and getting a mono trial. but see if u can get someone in the know to help u set it up.

with avids, the setup process is soooooooooo easy, u'd have to be a complete pleb to get it wrong!! u loosely mount it to the forks, then wind the pads in til they are clamped on the rotor. now tighten the bolts up mounting the caliper to the forks. the caliper is now in the perfect position. no messin about takin it off and swappin the washers about. now simply pull the cable through and tighten it in position. both pads are independantly adjustable, so just wind them out to the desired position, and ur done! if u get urself a single digit avid lever (ie, any starting with SD....) then u have a modulation adjuster at the lever. this allows fine tuning for ur desired brake 'feel' and how much modulation u want.

smithy

Whats a jock?

nope not getting an avid mechanical, sorry.

I used to have v's on my old da bomb, can't stand using cables. 

You really are a cock, :deej: EVERYONE is telling you to get an avid, and you still want a hydraulic one...are you thick

a jock is you, you tit...

Why cant you stand using cables...?? are u thick or just plain stupid, there hardly the hardest thing to work out :deej:

But hey, if u want to be bleeding brakes when air gets in, and have pistons leaking and shit, go ahead, but when 95% of people on here have said get an avid, as IT IS THE BEST brake for a mere £50, and you decide not to..thats your own silly fault.

If you ask me, you sound so adamant about not getting a cable disc, its almost as if you wanna say to your mates, " Yo, look, i've got a HYDRAULIC disc brake, ain't i amazing". well no, your not because you should get an avid, TIT

Rant over (Y)

in the lads defense, i think he's probs just a little new to the scene, and has not the experience of u or i, nor a fair few people on here. and with all the over biased bullshittin that goes on in this forum, its probs a little difficult to make up ur own mind!!

take a chill pill and offer him some decent advice. not just about brakes, but how to best make a decision. as i sed previously, its better to go round tryin a few, rather than listenin to the opinions of people u don't even know, because u can never tell whether they r knobbers or not.

help the newbies, and one day they shall become holders of wisdom themselves (Y)

makes you feel really old skool seein em all 'growin up' :">

smithy

You really are a cock,  EVERYONE is telling you to get an avid, and you still want a hydraulic one...are you thick

Sounds to me as if your a bit of a cock. I dont like cable brakes either, does that make me a cock??

No it means that I dont like cable disc's and I want a hydraulic one. I have a mono trial and I love it. I have used smithys and it is well good. To be honest I think they are about the same performance wise.

Just try to explain to him that for his budget he is best off with an avid.

If he want a hydraulic brake then he would be best to save up a bit more.

Whats a jock?

nope not getting an avid mechanical, sorry.

I used to have v's on my old da bomb, can't stand using cables. Besides arn't avids really heavy anyway? As they have cables etc.

Plus, on the avids only one side pulls dosn't it? Against a solid one. Which is a bit  (Y)

Say what you like, but nah, sticking with a hydo.

:deej:

I thought that there is no way in hell an avid could be better than a hydraulic disc, until i got one for myself!

I have had it for nearly a month, and it is sharp, has a solid feel, good modulation, doesnt require any maintanence and is generally performing very well. Im running an xtr lever and fibrax cable, but you can get any half decent lever and cable and it will work the same...as everyone has said, go for an avid cable and save yourself hassle, money and grief. they are half the price of a hydraulic and take 5 mins to fit and set up! comes with handy instructions too!

You really are a cock,  :P  EVERYONE is telling you to get an avid, and you still want a hydraulic one...are you thick

a jock is you, you tit...

Why cant you stand using cables...?? are u thick or just plain stupid, there hardly the hardest thing to work out :huh: 

But hey, if u want to be bleeding brakes when air gets in, and have pistons leaking and shit, go ahead, but when 95% of people on here have said get an avid, as IT IS THE BEST brake for a mere £50, and you decide not to..thats your own silly fault.

If you ask me, you sound so adamant about not getting a cable disc, its almost as if you wanna say to your mates, " Yo, look, i've got a HYDRAULIC disc brake, ain't i amazing". well no, your not because you should get an avid, TIT

Rant over :deej:

For a start i'm not just wanting a disk brake to show it off... :deej: what do you take me for.

If i got the magura i would have the piss taken out of me constantly as my mate hates magura / hayes disks. And as for the other chap i ride with, he couldn't care what i buy really, he's still going to be better than me. :D

The things that put me off the avid are that it must be a heavier, i tend to prefer a lighter bike, and it seems like i'm downgrading going from a maggie to a cable disk. And i haven't had alot of good experiences with using cables, it was absolulty heaven when i got my maggies, just shove them on and leave them. Non of that restricion of the cable dragging through the housing. Also with cable disks you have to dick about with getting the end in the lever and bolting the otherside down, where as with a hydraulic you just shove some fluid down and screw the bolts in. Some people prefer doing cables, some people prefer bleeding.

Theres still mod riders rolling around on monty tyres, even though everyone would say get maxxis creepy crawlers. It's personal preference, and i know i haven't tryed an avid, but i haven't tryed anything else aswell. Like i said above even if i buy it and don't like it, i'll only be down £40 (selling it etc), with gained experence.

So yeah there was no need for that childish "rant" was there...... (Y) plus no one's forsing you into this thred, you've made your point, sort of, thanks. But you don't need to keep posting. :D

Edited by JT!

You really should try and use someones avid.

Heres the story.. I have had A LOT of discs in my time. Hope mini, m4, dh4, formula before, hope c2 and a hayes hfx9-xc.

I have tried loads of other brakes on mates bikes including Magura Louise (best hydro in your price range) and the deores people talk of.

To be honest, a hope c2 was my favourtie brake in the world! But they are no longer available unless your lucky enough to find one tucked away. They are heavy but the power astonished me.

I got this hayes recently and I just didn't get on with it. I swapped it with WILL ARNOLD off this forum for guess what... AN AVID!

I put it on and shit me! Light lever feel (lighter than any Hydro) All the power I will ever need and modulation all in one! I shit you not, my manager tried it in work (he has a hardtail with 205/185 m4 setup) and he couldn't believe the power.

It seriously is the only way to go unless you can afford a Mono Trial (not been too impressed with them myself)

I suggest u get urself off to a big group ride with some decent guys, with a lot of experience.  all will be willing to help u out, and offer u their wisdom.  most will be quite happy to let u try their setup, and offer advice on how best to set brakes up

Definitely the thing to do :D

I run a Hayes HFX9-XC and have had nothing but problems and hate it (Y) After trying out an Avid today i know what i want :wub:

OK, i think i can see the light now.

Befor i go any further is this the right thing?

And then i have to find a leaver, so which is the best really? this'en?

And what sise rotor should i get, i'm assuming 160mm, to keep the weight down and the modulation up.

(Y) :D

Edited by JT!

Leaver, which is best? i like the sound of the modulation controll.

Don't worry about that - You'll probably want it on the "most wooden" setting all the time anyway. Although If you're getting XT/XTR/SD levers they all have it in one form or another.

The Avid Speed Dial 5 will do then. (asuming that they work on the left or the right, as it dosn't offer left or right on the site)

Is it just a standard cable and housing then? Or is it something special?

Edited by JT!