My Brake Is :(

mad_gavo

Right i've done some searches etc and tried a few things suggested but still cant find a solution to my problem (N)

I currently run a koxx rim with brown or red koxx bloxx (have both) and a maggie bled with water.

What ever pads I use the brake just fails to have any look or bite and just makes a silly swoosh/hissing noise (N)

The pads hit absolutely square to the rim and has no flex so i cant see the problem. Also I put a new grind on today and it is mega sharp because after a quick spin round the garden the koxx pads were covered in pad dust (i will sand down the grind a little I think otherwise i will have no pad at all lol)

So what can I do to get decent performance from my brake?

the Koxx team must run this set up so what is their secret :angry:

Cheers Gavin :)

Edited by mad_gavo

How old are the pads? maybe they have just seen better days? or they could be contaminated, it may sound a bit stupid but why not buy another set set of pads, like the new heatsinks, then see if the problem carries on, could be the rim? although i run RJ blues with tar, and never have any problems, only ran a grind for a little while due to the same problem your having.

Softer pads like plaz CRM with a slightly used grind works awsome for me (Dx32)

Does anyone know if the pro's have some kind of secret grinding technique? Like Vince, Cousts and the rest

The red pads are pretty new. Also they now deffinatly hit square as the new mega harsh grind has worn them perfectly to the shape of the rim :">

although do you think that it could be that the grind is too harsh? as lots of pad dust seems to be getting into the grind :)

Also the bleed is good as the pads move instantly and the lever feels nice so all the power is getting to the pads but they just don't seem to grip and lock (N)

If I do end up getting new pads what work best on the koxx rim?

But i'm sure koxx pads on a koxx rim should work (N) if so what the hell are the likes of Vince etc doing to make them work :angry:

The koxx riders brakes actually don't seem to be that great, watching the videos I see them slip a fair bit. I reckon they make up for the brake by pulling harder and using pedal pressure. :angry:

their brakes seemed to work fine even when their wheels were under water on that koxx days paris video!

In the koxx days video I saw kenny baelays brake slip, I think I may have over generalised. Sorry. :">

I think that people are too impatient with their brakes. In the beginning my brake never worked. I left it for 3 or 4 days of solid riding and it came to life. :angry:

In the koxx days video I saw kenny baelays brake slip, I think I may have over generalised. Sorry. :">

I think that people are too impatient with their brakes. In the beginning my brake never worked. I left it for 3 or 4 days of solid riding and it came to life. :angry:

same thing, but a fairly quick fix for me is to run a rag around the rim with furniture polish on it and then let it dry. work's like a bitch with a massive honking noise when i pull the breaking. (N)"

my rims a bmf with plazmatic pads and a standard maggie (just if u were wondering)

same thing, but a fairly quick fix for me is to run a rag around the rim with furniture polish on it and then let it dry. work's like a bitch with a massive honking noise when i pull the breaking. (N)"

my rims a bmf with plazmatic pads and a standard maggie (just if u were wondering)

Same result from dousing the rims in Muck-Off/Hope Sh1t Shifter, then scrubbing it dry with the brakes.

Honky honk honk. Cleans 'em up pretty good :angry:

I think il try some muc off at work tonight to see if that makes any difference. But I don't really want to put any thing on my rim other then a grind so it works consistently.

I think that people are too impatient with their brakes. In the beginning my brake never worked. I left it for 3 or 4 days of solid riding and it came to life.

I'm not been impatient i've had this setup for about 6months and it has never worked since i got it (Y)

I just feel that I could ride so much better if I had a brake that i knew would lock. e.g having the confidence to push the bike out in front when gapping and tucking up and leaning back when upping. All of which I am too scared to do as I am always waiting to jump off when the brakes gunna slip :S

My brake never seemed to work a while ago until i tried one of tartys grinds when i bought a rim off him - and it honked like a bee-hatch. I used to do sorta file-like grinds before...where it feels really deep. But tartys felt different, and it feels a lot more 'grippy' but not as harsh - so maybe its the grind? I'm now grinding like that and my brakes work fine - same pads etc etc.

Right i've done some searches etc and tried a few things suggested but still cant find a solution to my problem :-

I currently run a koxx rim with brown or red koxx bloxx (have both) and a maggie bled with water.

What ever pads I use the brake just fails to have any look or bite and just makes a silly swoosh/hissing noise ;)

The pads hit absolutely square to the rim and has no flex so i cant see the problem. Also I put a new grind on today and it is mega sharp because after a quick spin round the garden the koxx pads were covered in pad dust (i will sand down the grind a little I think otherwise i will have no pad at all lol)

So what can I do to get decent performance from my brake?

the Koxx team must run this set up so what is their secret :S

Cheers Gavin :)

I no the answer for this all you need is a XT lever and a XTR arms and you will have your self a v-brake, ow and heatsink pads too.

Don't really no about HS33s but i do no that koxx blocs aren't that good, maybe you should try different brake pads see what happens then, just a thought.

Gaz (Y)

I no the answer for this all you need is a XT lever and a XTR arms and you will have your self a v-brake, ow and heatsink pads too.

Don't really no about HS33s but i do no that koxx blocs aren't that good, maybe you should try different brake pads see what happens then, just a thought.

Gaz (Y)

Yer getting new pads is my last resort. Just that my theory is that the whole koxx team and people like fletch have koxx bloxx and koxx rim and their brakes seem to be amazing.

Anyway i've done some searches and i'm off to buy a stone disk thingy as this seams to be what people recommend over a metal grinding disk :-