Mopeds - Advice Needed.

Phatmike

Hey guys, the time has come for me to purchase a moped.

I know what you're thinking, as i'm thinking exactly the same; "Oh dear god, a hair dryer with wheels", but I think I really could do with one, as soon i'll have to be going 10 miles to 6th form every day, and just useful for doing errands etc, as it's a lot quicker than my bike!

Basically, I have no idea where to start - I've looked on auto trader and ebay to buy one, but there seems very little for what I want, and the few insurance quotes i've looked at (based on random mopeds) are like £200-£300!

So if any of you guys are experienced, I'd like to know:

Where to get a 2nd hand moped, looking to spend as little as possible, on something that works.

Where to get cheapest insurance.

Where/how I apply for a provisional licence, whether I need lessons/tests etc.

What else I need, helmet, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike. (Y)

EDIT I meant HELPFUL advice. :)

Edited by Fatmike

Ped wise, get a Gilera Ice, or a Honda XL8R (Y)  Both cheap ish and very good :)

Right, ok, and where can i get one of these on the cheap, ideally if anyone knows any places that do them 2nd hand, or could point me in the direction of a specific one? :deej:

Mike.

You need to get you provisional then do your CBT (compulsary bike training) which is a one day course and will cost about £75.

Get a decent bike like a piaggio typhonn or zip, they cost nothing to run unlike yamaha aerox(nothing but trouble) and aprilia sr50's etc.

hey,

my sister has a suzuki AY50 WR katana for sale in telefonica paint scheme, looking for about £950, not sure if would would be interested, as for insurance ive been with bennets for my aprilia rs50 that cost 400 tpft, then carole nash for my zxr 400 which im now paying 250 fully comp high excess though, i would recommend trying these places, as for cbt i did mine with motag which are nation wide company and cost about 90 hiring a bike, try hein gericke for clothing they always seem to be cheapish i would buy helmet, textile jacket, gloves and wear some boots with ankle protection even at 30 mph a crash is very bad news with gravel rash etc

hope this helps

Leanne

Right, ok, and where can i get one of these on the cheap, ideally if anyone knows any places that do them 2nd hand, or could point me in the direction of a specific one? :)

Mike.

Ebay (Y) Don't be skeptical, most peds for sale are for sale from people who have turned 17 and decided to get a car etc etc... see the bike before you bid though.

Edited by Urpedigreechumdog

1106, that suzuki your sister is selling, i dont quite think she will get £950 for it, my cousin had a 51 plate, 12 month tax, 300miles!!!!!! and he only got £800 for it. nobody would ive him anything else. (baring in mind it was in the most perfect condition and only rode for about 2 months!! and he bought it brand new for £2450 and had just came out at the time!!)

EDIT: Mopeds for sale. Thank me later (Y) :)

Edited by terror-error

Hey, cheers for the link, i saw that a little while ago too.

I'm probably looking to spend under £400, so if you see anything under that, please say. (Y)

I'm scanning those adverts now, not sure how old some of them are though... There's a couple that look promising;

a red Peugeot trekker 4 sale on a X reg, I bought it in January hoping id get it on the road for my birthday but never got round 2 it, it is in ok condition, it has a Malossi tuned engine, a Malossi variator n rollers, a Malossi gear up kit, a Malossi drive belt, a Malossi clutch spring, and a Malossi torque driver and also a one off Piaggio down sports exhaust pipe I'm looking around £400 pound for it but open 2 offers thanx.

Or:

Peugeot zenith 50cc  scooter vgc, low miles, great runner, £400.

02040502.jpg

Do those look ok?

Also, where will be the cheapest place for insurance?

Mike. :)

Mopeds seem so... expensive, for what they are...

Could say the same about public transport, I guess.

Never been a fan of either mopeds or public transport personally... but... I'd probably go for the moped if i could afford it.

Sorry for the useless post Mike!

Aye, the location of the 6th form college just means i'd have to get a train journey, then a bus journey, or 2 buses, which would take a bloody long time (about 40 mins), and 15 mins walk (*shock horror* i know) back and forth every day, but on a gay little ped i could get there in 25 mins... So it does seem best for me.

Mike.

Your worried about £200-£300 insurance? I'm paying £1700 on my car :lol: But meh, your going to pay that much. I had a moped, Gilera Runner SP50, for a year... rode soooo much nicer than other peds out there, proper good quality. But then it was a really expensive one. Don't be worried about how people call peds etc. 'cause they're actually huge amounts of fun, just don't be a knob on it.

Why is it more expensive for me to insure a moped than it was for my brother to insure a 1.4L rover at 17! :lol:

I think all i can see so far is gonna cost about £250+

Anyone know of any other cheap places I can try?

All help appreciated.

Mike.

Could say the same about public transport, I guess.

I pay like £10 for a megarider pass with student discount... that gets me everywhere for a whole week. If i drove to collage it'd cost me about £4 in petrol every day. Public transport, for me anyway, is way cheaper than the price of petrol alone, let alone the car or bike + insurance etc.

1106, that suzuki your sister is selling, i dont quite think she will get £950 for it, my cousin had a 51 plate, 12 month tax, 300miles!!!!!! and he only got £800 for it. nobody would ive him anything else. (baring in mind it was in the most perfect condition and only rode for about 2 months!! and he bought it brand new for £2450 and had just came out at the time!!)

EDIT: Mopeds for sale. Thank me later :lol: :-

#

this is a 2002 model but has a few more miles great condition though, the price is a starting point no one ever says i want 950 for it and gets that so shes expecting offers and to sell it for less,

for scooters try also sites like bikechatforums.com, visordown.com places like the also i think ukbike.com,

thanks

Leanne

p.s try buying MCN - motorcycle news in the bike mart bit that is in the paper there are loads of bike insurance companies and bikes so sale so might be worth a look its out every wednesday

Im one of the people who say dont bother using a moped for a year, wait and get a car. But I can see you NEED some way of transport. Have you considered spending £400 on a racing bike or hardtail with slicks etc? Would be much cheaper to run and in rush hours I can garuntee its basically as fast! Its no worse than a moped for getting wet in rain etc and your fitness would shoot up? Just an idea! Im a bad hypocrite though as theres no way id ride the 3/4 miles to college lol

Also as danny said, dont complain about £250 insurance, when you get a car you will shat yourself whilst the slap you repetedly.

Keep looking til you find something you want. But if your having to get something really crappy that you arnt going to enjoy riding at all, you might consider the pedalling option........^^^

Yes mopeds are gay but there also very handy!!!

I had a Yamaha TZR 50! Was the bees knees! May post a pic later!

Dont know what you've said as I havent read everything, but do you want a geared one or twist and crawl jobby?? :)

My thoughts:

Geared

Derbi Sender

TZR (probably the quickest 50 as well)

Apprillia RX

Rs 50s but I dont relly like them, to skinny but quick

Twist and go

Don not get a Zip, they are so sh*t

Gillera runner, the best one

Aprillia Rally

Aprillia area 51

Yamaha xrox (sp)

Just look on autotrader or your local paper!

Cheers Rob :lol: :-

Edit: O and I forgot about insurance, ring bennets but they are a rip off, I was paying £650 third party fire and theft and now im paying £650 for my CBR 600 a year later but on third party only with carol nash!

Carol nash are probably the best!

Edited by Rob P

I'm sorry mate but zips arent shit, they never break, you can get parts for them really easy and theyre cheap to run. Its not as if hes buying it for the pimp factor is it :lol:

They look horid, slow as you like, small and just generally are crap!!

All zips that i've seen around are basically fallaing apart and in poor condition!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...