Echo Team Forks Don't Fit - Please Help Asap!

trialsboytom

:lol: I bought some Echo 'Team' aluminium forks 20" for my Onza T-Pro (2005) as everyone on here said they'd fit.

Got them today and the stem on the forks is about 2 inches longer than the old ones, and sticks right through the frame when you slot them in.

Can't see how it will do up with the handlebars and the adjuster?? Please help

thanks Tom

You need to cut down the steerer tube on the forks (the stem as you said) down to a level similar to that of your old T-Pro forks, then use spacers to fit.

Use a hacksaw, put some tape round to get a straight edge (not 100% crucial,) and go easy, dont cut 'em too short.

I dont understand what you mean your explanaton was about as clear as petrol.

I believe you may need to cut your steerer, or if yoube already cut it and its too short thats your problem apart from that theyll fit perfectly.

I had the same problem, not that its really a problem at all.

All i did was wack a few spacers in and its all fine :lol: .

Unless you want to cut down the steerer tube.

Sam :-

Edited by samthebiker

Ok thanks guys so we need to cut it down

So is it just the handlebars clamping onto the 'steerer tube' that takes out the slack between the forks and the frame??

I thought the little bolt in the middle of the handlebars tightened up the forks by pulling them upwards into the frame, then you lock the handlebars into place with the 2 bolts? If you cut off the top of the forks don't you lose something?

Confused, Tom

just cut the steerer down you fool! Listen to what people are saying!

Every fork comes with a steerer tube thats long so that the forks will work with any frame!

You'll need to buy a star nut too to put into the steerer tube of the forks so you can tighten up the headset.

having too many spacers will make the bike feel terrible.

Edited by JonPace

Right, sorry for the legibility of the text, stupid M$ Paint!

gallery_715_55_1824.jpg

The "handlebar" you're reffering to is actually the "stem". :lol: The handlebar is actually the bit that you hold onto, with the brake levers etc attatched.

You need to make sure that the steerer tube (the part on the top of the forks that goes into the frame) sits below the top of the stem. (See dashed lines on diagram) This is so that the top cap and bolt can push the stem down towards the frame without being obstructed.

This can be acheived in your case by either using stem stackers (available from your local bike shop, or any other bike shop, or any old tubing that fits), or cutting the steerer tube on the forks down. Be careful to measure it correctly, and ensuring you've allowed for the compression of the headset. Then saw it straight. You're best off paying your LBS to do it for you, then they can measure it, and cut it straight.

Good luck.

Mike

Ok thanks guys so we need to cut it down

So is it just the handlebars clamping onto the 'steerer tube' that takes out the slack between the forks and the frame?? 

I thought the little bolt in the middle of the handlebars tightened up the forks by pulling them upwards into the frame, then you lock the handlebars into place with the 2 bolts?  If you cut off the top of the forks don't you lose something?

Confused, Tom

Right this is what you have to do. 1st fit the forks and slide the stem on over the top of steerer and down till it touchs the frame, now using a pencil draw a line around top of the stem. now remove the forks from frame and using the line you have just drawn cut 5mm below it with a hacksaw(the 5mm is needed for the stem top cap to fit). now install a star nut in the inside of the steerer(bout 50p from bike shop, its a star shaped nut with a screw thead though the middle) install by fitting the bolt that goes in the top of stem n whack it it in with a hammer(gently) so that its 10mm below top of forks, now fit forks in frame and slide stem on. put the top cap on and tighten the bolt so that the forks are tight but still move freely. and then tighten up stem bolts. ALL DONE! :lol:

^^^ok alot of people beat me to it^^^^

Edited by chrishayton

You cant cut a starnut off, in future it might be a better idea to get your parts fitted at a bike shop if your this inexperienced.

Just buy a new starnut form your lbs and fit it into your new fork's steerer using the handle of a screwdriver and a hammer otr the correct tool, or even a top cap bolt screwed into the top.

Then get it into the correct length make sure its straight and resume work.

The bit I missed was about putting a new star nut down the steerer, cos I'll have to cut that bit off my new forks

Hit the star nut further into the forks...

And when you cut the forks down, make sure you know EXACTLY what you're doing. Measure twice, cut once. You do not want to cut it too short!

If possible use a pipe cutting tool to cut down the steerer tube as it gives you a dead straight cut and shouldn't need fileing afterwards.

Works for me every time.  :lol:

No really ideal pipe cutters splay the ends out so you have to file them down at more than you would if you used a hacksaw.

Hit the star nut down, cut the forks so they are 3-5mm below top of stem. Problem solved.

Or as someone said above get it dont at a bike shop sounds like you have no idea what your doing.

(I thought the idea of a "new members" section was to keep this members area free from posts like this?)

(I thought the idea of a "new members" section was to keep this members area free from posts like this?)

i dont think its a nessacary comment that. everyone has to learn at somepoint. come on give the guy a break, i have seen some of his posts, and they are reasonably sensible.

just do what people have said matey

ben

Yeah this guy may not know his stuff but his posts are readable and he's a nice guy, the point of new-members section is to prevent stupid people from posting in here, making stupid comments which don't apply - this guy's just a newbie, everyone has to learn.