Creaking

Nick Garland

Hi there.

Hve a strage creeking coming from the front of my bike. At first thought it was Avid clicking. Then though forks snapped etc and its not. We cant work out what it is thats wrong.

Ive eliminated:

Cracked Forks (cant see anything taken them out and looked, no cracks visible on outside of steerer, could be under crown race but tats last resort)

Not king headset thats fine

Not avid clicking

All bolts are done up tight.

Basically when I push down on the bars it creaks at me. I have carbon fibre bars but I didnt they carbon creaked, eeek!

Anyone got any ideas. I remember there was a post about noises before and to eliminate things one by one. Theres not a lot left to eliminate.

stem/handlebar contact point ?

Usually, strip the bars from the stem, lightly grease the contact points and all the bolts and reassemble, should stop the creaking. Otherwise i suppose its possible that the aluminium liner to the bars has seperated from the carbon (assuming they are aluminium wrapped bars like most carbon trials bars).

They are Pazzaz ones and as far as Im aware they have small amounts of alu, at ends and the bulge area. I'll go grease that area.

As for putting grease into a sealed bearing headset <_< no thanks. Its about a year old, might need a service but I doubt it. Unless you meant re-grease the bearings and not just slap it in.

EDIT : Not a cracked stem forgot to mention checked that too.

Edited by Team War Rider

Very unlikely to be the bar/stem interface. The lacquer on the bars acts as a 'lubricant'

Try this:

- Whip your stem off

- Clean the inside of the stem clamp, and the steerer tube

- Lightly grease the steerer (where the stem clamps to it)

- Re-fit.

If that doesn't work... do you have Echo Urbans forks?

Heavy grease will do nicely.

As for the forks - the steerer, where it goes into the crown, can get a bit dry sometimes - so, all you need to do is knock the crown race off, and drop some light oil down between the steerer and crown. That'll stop your creak <_< (mine used to do the same thing, and was cured like this :))

spray wd 40 on the stem bolts then, on the steerer bolts, press after each spray so you can eliminate the problem also as a daft idea take your front squewer out and grease it it most likely not that but for 5 mins its worth takin it out <_<

Heavy grease will do nicely.

As for the forks - the steerer, where it goes into the crown, can get a bit dry sometimes - so, all you need to do is knock the crown race off, and drop some light oil down between the steerer and crown. That'll stop your creak <_< (mine used to do the same thing, and was cured like this :P)

Gonna give that a try myself as my front end creaks too. im so scared my urbans are going to snap, ah well if they do they do :)"

If you havent sorted it yet, it really is worth taking the time to grease your headset, especially if you have a king one. It should stop any noises and make it last longer as well as making sure that it runs smooth. Whilst youre doing that you can check your forks too...

right

undo your stem bolts and make sure there all done up with an even

amount of space between the the clamp and stem stem also dont do

them up to tight , just tight enough.

I had creaking from the front end , i checked everything

, headset , wheel e.t.c did that and it stoped

so just give it a go!

also clean the bolts of with the kitchen roll , loo paper or whatever.

hope ive helped

:)

mini man