Short Steerer?

nb88

Quick question...

had a monty x-lite stem with slanted top, cut my forks down a hell of a lot...got zoo! bar and stem today and my steerer goes half the way up the zoo! stem.

Is this a problem, as in worth buying new forks? are there any problems with running it like this?

thanks.

noz.

Monty x-lite 2003s. Do you know why it'd cause the forks to snap? Would it just snap the top of the steerer or something...? I really like these forks and theyre expensive so i dont want to buy another set :) could buy echo teams but i really need to save for driving lessons.

I think thats what caused the steerer on my teams to snap, take out any spacers you are running, or just get new forks. It should last a few months, but its not really worth the risk. Run a headlock if your really worried.

I think thats what caused the steerer on my teams to snap, take out any spacers you are running, or just get new forks. It should last a few months, but its not really worth the risk. Run a headlock if your really worried.

Hummm humm hummmmmmm....... why did i cut my forks down :) :) :unsure: . I have no spacers....how would running a headlock help?

The only problem i could see from you running a short steerer is that the stem wont be able to achieve enough clamping force to stay on the forks securely, however i ran a brisa elite bar and stem setup with an overly cut steerer and i didnt have any problems, till the forks snapped but they broke at the crown so that didnt have anything to do with the stem clamping...

The only problem i could see from you running a short steerer is that the stem wont be able to achieve enough clamping force to stay on the forks securely, however i ran a brisa elite bar and stem setup with an overly cut steerer and i didnt have any problems, till the forks snapped but they broke at the crown so that didnt have anything to do with the stem clamping...

I dont really see how it can cause the forks to snap...unless they snap right at the top of the steerer. I've had no problems with stem clamping problems so far - the steerer ends just at the top of the 1st bolt. I'm just worried that theres some danger in having a short steerer as i dont want to risk my face being smashed....

If you think about it, having a short steerer means that more force goes through a smaller area of the steerer when you are breaking, front hopping, hooking and other things like that.

Its your face, do what you will, but be careful.

I dont really see how it can cause the forks to snap...unless they snap right at the top of the steerer.

Thats exactly it, they snap at the bottom of where the stem clamps.

Edited by Hobnobs

I cant see it bein a problem at all :unsure:

I ran some overly cut pashleys on my pure for a while, no problems.

I remember once when tarty ran some forks he had cut too much he just ppd abit of extra tube in so it clamped better or something, i cant remember.. adam darling, where are you? :)

Just make sure the top caps nice n tight too, should be fine.

Sharn

Edit: Also, i dont see how it would make the steerer weaker. Isnt a shorter pole harder to snap then a longer pole because it has more leverage? I know it minimal.. but in theory? :)

Hmm, yeah... ill go

Edited by sharn

Edit: Also, i dont see how it would make the steerer weaker. Isnt a shorter pole harder to snap then a longer pole because it has more leverage? I know it minimal.. but in theory? :o

Very true...

I may do what tart did, im sure i have some spare cut-off steerer somewhere. Its not a problem at the moment though and if you guys have ran forks then i probably wont bother :o

cheers for your help geezas.