What Disc Brake?

trialsguru

im looking to buy a disc brake as my vee, although it works great its either on or off and makes some deafening noises lol.

ive narrow it down to hope trial 160mm or 180mm and the avid mechanical 185mm, whats the good and bad points about these 3? do any of them fade in performance and also where can you get replacement pads for the avid?

cheers!

The Avid is good. I had a quick play with a Hope trial and it seems really nice too. Quite grabby (like the Avid), which I like, and possibly a slightly nicer lever feel due the the hydraulic-ness of it. But I would say it's certainly not twice as good as an Avid, so not worth twice as much :huh:

To add to what Tomm said, the Avid IS a great brake for the price.

The downsides (especially noticeable riding natural) are the fade you get when its hot (I found myself with almost NO brake on many occasions), and the ability of the external adjusters to be knocked... sometimes leaving you with no brake at all!

If you were to go for the Hope, I would recommend the 160 for a mod bike, and 180mm rotor for stock bike.

rity i havent had any proper experiences with a hope mono trial so cant comment on them really,ive only quickly tested them but have owned several hopes inc the 4pots which were good but then i got an avid.....immense

i had a 160 and it was really nice,plenty of bite but in the end lacked power for a 13stone rider doing frontwheel gaps(well trying :"> )

i was running an xtr lever on a clarks cable(10quid thing from crc)

now i have a 185 avid with nokon cable and an ultimate lever

fookin amazing, silly smooth and light,better than any hydraulic ive ever used(mainly hopes)

it doesnt suffer from fade as far as i can tell and i like my stoppies now alot more since i got suspension upfront

it has tremendous hold and yet retains enough modulation to keep if safe

tis a damn fine brake and i recomend it alot

it really is worth paying the extra for nokon cables, they make sooo much difference in the feel of the brake. i also think its worth paying out for a lever such as an xtr or an avid ultimate as they make the brakes feel way better :huh: but really a 2quid cable and outer and a cheap avid/shimano lever will still make the brake feel superb (Y)

To add to what Tomm said, the Avid IS a great brake for the price.

The downsides (especially noticeable riding natural) are the fade you get when its hot (I found myself with almost NO brake on many occasions), and the ability of the external adjusters to be knocked... sometimes leaving you with no brake at all!

If you were to go for the Hope, I would recommend the 160 for a mod bike, and 180mm rotor for stock bike.

Capich.................

Waynio........................

the mono trial rocks the trials world :huh: (Y) it also stops you quick, plenty of power super fast.

I'v had an avid for a while, no other disc to compare it too though. How ever it feels the same as any hydraulic, and from what i'v heard, much better.

I can imagine the hop will cut down the weight a bit though.

thats 160, i will have to ring them to see if they can get the 180 ones...anyone ever rang them before about it?

edit: shhh sam, the hayes is good. it is just going to be better on my xc bike...when ever i get the money for it (Y)" haha

edit 2: did you ring crc then sam?

Edited by James_Porter

allright mate, calm down with the bumming... (Y)

Well sorry if you don't like my ass antics, but i like to shove it up adams bum occasionally :)

Problemo???

Anyway back to the point... the trial is lighter and more on / off. Dont get me wrong however, it still has pleanty of modulation. The M4 on the other hand, slightly heavier, just as powerful (maybe more powerful) and more modulation. This is because it was designed for downhilling i believe, where an on / off disc is not nessisary.

I have used both the avid and hope mon trials (160 & 180mm)

I found my hope to be VERY un reliable, I have never got it to be as powerful as I would like from a brake, it never had any bite (but was exellent for stoppies).

I tried new pads, new rotors, re bleads etc. I got it working ok, but the lever wasnt how I liked it, it was too far out and pulled to far in.

I then washed my bike today with hope sh1t shifter (meant to be ok for disks), it just killed my mono trials, no power at all!

This was the final straw, I took it off and put my avid back on, its piss easy to set up, is waaay more powerful than my hope ever was and was super easy to adjust.

I am running mine with an ultimate lever and cheap cables (tried nokon, was crap)

Its the smoothest brake out there, way easier to pull than my hope was.

I havnt had any problems with heat fade (and you should see the hills I have to ride down!) but I have knocked the dials off in the past.

If you havnt guessed by now, I reccomend getting an avid, it blows away the hope in every category but weight.

to be honest, im with ali c on this. i havent personally used a hope trial disc but i have felt many and i just dont see what all the hype is about them.

i used a avid disc for a good 6 months and i did like it, had loads of power and i really liked the feel of it. you can also get them right how you want them feeling, ie lever reach.

i did find them fading when i was stopping going down hills, but never when i was riding actual trials and it allways came back within 10mins.

i wouldnt bother spending £140 on a hope trial disc, the avid does the job just as well and for a quite a lot less. use your lever you have got now and buy the avid caliper and some cheap inner and outer cable, will cost you £80 at the most.