.~

Sponge

hmm tricky one, it shouldn't do your frame and harm, but if your threads are in good shape and your bb screws in nicely, dont do it because you are just gonna remove more material.

I wouldnt bother personally, just use lots of grease when fitting your new bb and should be fine.

Get a stiff toothbrush and hot soapy water and scrub until the shell is glimmering.

Bis Bash Bosh jobs a gud un

Thats too faffy for my liking, just use a bit of old rag.

:P :)

Retapping thread is only really neccesary if you have encountered problems with inserting your existing B.B , or it coming loose . In the case of my Base frame , it was necessary , as there was paint and even a blob of alu ( ! ) on the thread .

As suggested above doing so removes material from the shell , so should only be done when necessary , although it does work extremely well , giving clean even threads . I'm with Caleb on this one though , give the area a good clean , and grease before inserting B.B .

Hi guys, I need to get my BB threads 'cleaned'. I heard that this is necessary each time the Bottom bracket is inserted

Nope.

I need to get the threads cleaned to ensure there's not stripping of threads as U6 loves to strip since its softer than 7005.

Kinky :)"

But seriously, where did you infer that from? Simply because an alloy is a couple of points softer on the hardness scale, doesn't mean the BB threads are gonna fall out all by themselves.

Stop worrying dude!

Make sure he realises that the half of the cutter tool marked "L" is not for the left hand side, its for the right, which has a left hand thread. Get this wrong and the frame is trolleyed. If you already know this, I didn't mean to sound patronising, just its a common mistake with over keen mechanics, I'm sure most Halfords stores have at some point had someone trash a frame doing this very procedure.

Its not necessary on every bottom bracket change, but it is good practice, as being the lowest point on a bike (forgetting bikes like the Vinco thing etc), all the dirt and water collects there and makes it all skanky. I changed the BB in my Trek xc bike last night and the shell was full of rust even though the frame is aluminium. I think it was corrosion from the bottom bracket itself.

It does screw into the thread like a bottom bracket, i.e tighten towards the back, loosen towards the front. if done correctly it will work fine as the two halves of the tool lock into each other, acting as a guide for the other side, making it near impossible to cross thread.