Vincent Hermace Brakeset Up

Biff

After previously watchin koxx videos and vincent hermance only videos, i couldn't help notice how well his brake locked on yet the brake has no squeek! I know not all brakes have to have a squeek with a grind and so on.... but koxx pads dont tend to lock on at all that well from past expirience.

I know that theres a way of angling the pad so it bites on corners of gaps etc, and the brake has a swoosh sound to it, could vincent have set his pads up like this? its just a curiosity i would not like to go into debate about it!

If im mistaken just say, but i've always wondered how his brake locks so f**king well :P :)

Biff

Also bare in mind, he probably has immense amounts of accuracy, therefore not requiring a brake to be as amazing...... take Rowan Johns for example, I believe he runs black maggy pads :) :P on a smooth rim, yet taps silly things....

Nah, not any more. I believe Viz (or Plaz lookalikes anyway) pads, might be a grind but I can't remember... that was from the Deej ride at Abingdon recently, anyway. Being freakishly, savagely smooth probably helps his cause most :)

Parallell to rim. and pull the lever hard!!!! :) :P"

Waynio...................

nay brake works with or without a grind its due to you pulling the lever harder. if your arms are tired then you wont be able to pull it on as hard. most of the new koxx bloxx (Red/Blue/Yellow/Green) make more of a swooshing noise than an ear piercing hut hut hutttttttt noise.

Waynio.........................

very hard to explain noises :)

i thinkits more to do with his timing when he pulls the lever, as hes so accurate he pulls the brake when the wheel is just landing and it not moving very fast so it doesnt make a lould squeal, try it your self pull brake when wheels spining slow not much noise pull when spining fat lould squeal

I am afraid i think you are wrong... I don't think it is intentional that his brake is quiet. I know that when riding at the 2004 bike show his brake was loude!

I think there just happens to be factors making his brakes quiet at random points... for example he rides a lot of natural so dust on the rim, water, grime. These would stop the brake being nice and loude. Its not that he doesnt like the brake being loude, just that he can ride without it being nessisary.

At the bike show this year for example he had a problem with his brake on the saturday, and had to change something (i think) therefore his new set up meant they were not totally bedded in, and therefore no loude sound.

I haven't seen or used Hermance's brake set up, no surprise, but i doubt there's anything special to it, a ground koxx rim, koxx pads, a well bled air free system, lever in the right position, good knowledge of his equipment and how to use it most effectively, id like to know what fluid he runs though, i've found it easier to get immense lock power when iv had a thick fluid, such as oil in my mag system.

Well i am just going to be really cocky and say i have rode it ! i Spoke to i think Benito Ross' Dad and he passed me Vincents bike and said enjoy i was like :D ,it wasn't that quiet and it wasn't that loud, it does work well but it felt wierd as the brakes were the wrong side and really far out for my little hands .However if you ask Gary he will disagree as he fell off whilst kicking out when lunging and landed right on his back ! (Y) . Benito's Dad couldn't stop laughing and we couldn't even stand up properly ! So yer it's just a fairly standard brake really, as you said has a kind of swooshy sound, like waynio's on hibernation . :D

Lil Dan

somone on OTN said that he was runnning koxx reds at the euros .

so i dunno.

probaly uses reds for comps and borwns for street e.t.c

ferck knows .

i just got some browns and its liek a quiet squeek / swoosh i want full on swoosh.lol

but as said rowan used black pads on clean rim and his brake was OK but with him it was awsome never sliped , or it didint in plymouth.

alex

ok try doing some gap thats really easy and small for you and that youve done loads before you'll notice that you brake dont squeal because your so used to it and you put the brake on at the right time

go out and try if you dont get what im trying to say

i felt his brake at the euros (or at the hotel, haha).

the pads were red bloxx, set up really wonky, worn angled and stuff. he had the brake biting far out from the bar though, so he probably gives it a good squeeze.

yer hes using a really stiff frame and a booster probably so there isn't going to be much noise as the reason there is a squeak is the vibration the pads cause.

my theory on things anyway (Y)

g

yer hes using a really stiff frame and a booster probably so there isn't going to be much noise as the reason there is a squeak is the vibration the pads cause.

my theory on things anyway (Y)

g

No booster... Just the CNC'd yolk on his XTP :D"