Anyone Got A 2005 Monty Ti And A Rear Disk Setup

hugh_b

they would be good on a 20" bike with the wheel being a bit smaller as on the front the power and grip is amazing.

TRA i dont know if you was thinking of using it on your 26" or your 20" but Ali C had one on his 26" and it personally looked pretty pants. it was rolling and slipping all at the wrong times.

Waynio.......................

only my opinion on the matter iv not used one on the back but have on the front. they must be good on a 20" (on the back) if the likes of danny comas is using them

they would be good on a 20" bike with the wheel being a bit smaller as on the front the power and grip is amazing.

TRA i dont know if you was thinking of using it on your 26" or your 20" but Ali C had one on his 26" and it personally looked pretty pants. it was rolling and slipping all at the wrong times.

Waynio.......................

only my opinion on the matter iv not used one on the back but have on the front. they must be good on a 20" (on the back) if the likes of danny comas is using them

Not necessarily. It could just be they're trying it to see how it worked, maybe? Either way, using the "_______ uses them, they must be good" idea kinda fails when you look at the huge, overwhelming majority using Magura HS33's on the back :turned:

I'm still not convinced by discs on the rear. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about them not really working as I'd want a brake to (with regards bite, etc.), plus the strain on the hub and frame would kinda put me off.

Do Monty's have some kinda moveable disc mount then? 'cos with horizontal dropouts, if they don't, isn't it going to be shit?

Cesars' did actually slip a fair bit when he was using it at the bike show.

But, I dunno, a 20" wheel theoretically has 20% less spoke flex than a 26" wheel (?), depending on hub etc obviously, so it can't feel *that* wank?

Actually, I take that back, It probably can feel wank, as it's a completely different feel to a HS33.

Edited by Dave Gill

the problem with rear disc on a trial bike is that you are only locking the hub and rotor, not the rim, therefore a lot of flex is caused, i found this before, ideally on a trial bike you want the brake locking on the rim rather than a disc, therefore there is less flex.

regards ash

the problem with rear disc on a trial bike is that you are only locking the hub and rotor, not the rim, therefore a lot of flex is caused, i found this before, ideally on a trial bike you want the brake locking on the rim rather than a disc, therefore there is less flex.

regards ash

Genuis solution, Rotor that bolts onto the spokes :turned:

Disk are more powerful when used on a mod than a stock, too- bear in mind, lets say to make it simple, a disk on a mod might be half the size of the wheel- on a stock it is smaller on the wheel (the equivalent of having an equally proportioned, smaller rotor on a mod wheel). Also as has been said, spoke flex on a mod is less

Cesars' did actually slip a fair bit when he was using it at the bike show.

But, I dunno, a 20" wheel theoretically has 20% less spoke flex than a 26" wheel (?), depending on hub etc obviously, so it can't feel *that* wank?

Actually, I take that back, It probably can feel wank, as it's a completely different feel to a HS33.

I think that may have been because he was running a rear marta which are bad enough on the front let a loan the back. in all the spanish champ vids the hope's look like they really work well on the back, just wanted to see if any "normal" riders have used one on the monty's.

-Hugh

my marta with a 160 rotor on the front worked waaaaay better than my 180 hope mono trial, so dont but the martas down too early

If I had a mod, I would want to run a disk on the rear, they feel ace, I wouldnt have much concirn about it slipping, as has been said, disks will work a lot better on mods than on stock.

I had a marta on the rear of my 26", and it was amazing. It didnt really slip at all.

If I had a 20" with a disk mount, I would easily run a Marta on the rear again (or an Avid Juicy 7 as miy front ones impressing me loads) as I prefer them to HS33s, especially in the wet.

Discs on the rear of mods and stocks are nothing new. Look at the Megamo Equip bikes. My mate never had any problems with his set up on that.

I have a friend in Spain who just ordered a rear Hope Mono trial for his 221ti and he loves it. He was at the Euro champs and saw Cesars Mono trial hold in some good sections.....

So he went for it and loves it...

i use a mono m4 on my stock with standard hose and pads, and it works as good if not better than my previous magura set up and i rode a bike in week end with yellow koxx pads on a deep grind and it was 'as' good as that. work amazing in the wet as well. ot pi uses one a 26 now. highly recomened imo

well my dads front m4 160 rotor fully standard is a lot more powerful than a 160 mono trial, well i thought any way, slap some good ridge hose on a mono m4, and id say you will have a powerfuler brake.

well my dads front m4 160 rotor fully standard is a lot more powerful than a 160 mono trial, well i thought any way,  slap some good ridge hose on a mono m4, and id say you will have a powerfuler brake.

this in a way is not true though, because the brakes are designed for completely different purposes, i.e. mono m4 is designed to be used for long decents because they work better when they get hot, therfore not to be used for trials which is more on and off, thats why mine never worked on my trial bike, now its on an dh rig and it is shit hot, whereas the mono trial locks perfectly on my trial bike, due to the piston size in relation to the m4's

also putting some goodridge hose on an m4 would not increase power?

all it would do is increase the leaver feel stiffness

regards ash :mellow:

I doubt it, even if they did it would cost too much monies to make it worthwhile.

As i said before (actually it wasn't in this thread), it's really,really hard to hit a rear rotor.

So i don't think making it a 145mm rotor would have much benefit, as theres a very small chance of hitting it anyway.

I still think Avid BB7 185mm/205mm if you can get away with it.

185mm should be plenty powerful on a mod though.

Get a decent cable and lever, and away you go.

I doubt it, even if they did it would cost too much monies to make it worthwhile.

As i said before (actually it wasn't in this thread), it's really,really hard to hit a rear rotor.

So i don't think making it a 145mm rotor would have much benefit, as theres a very small chance of hitting it anyway.

I still think Avid BB7 185mm/205mm if you can get away with it.

185mm should be plenty powerful on a mod though.

Get a decent cable and lever, and away you go.

yer, and maybe one of those avid aluminium sleeves to make the brake more responsive and less mushy :blink: