Rim Coating Options

Will Arnold

what do you lot think would be a good thing to try for a rim coating?

i was thinking of getting my rear rim powder coated, to see what it would make the brakes like....

do any of you have suggestions as to what would be a good substitute for plazmatic rim coating.

cheers ;)

Will

powder coating leaves a shiny, smooth surface? generally speaking?

so does anodising but thats ass kickingly good ;)

im thining of the glue and sand idea, or maybe 'no more nails' and sand.

i dont want to feck my wheel up, because how would i get it all off? haha

the reason im trying to find a long lasting solution is so that i dont have to faff about with my rear brake adding tar and re-grinding it.

i want a fit and forget brake setup....

I have the best idea, get a D521 and some heatsink Konigs and you will have the best brake ever. Mine sure is :D

Gaz ;)

the reason im trying to find a long lasting solution is so that i dont have to faff about with my rear brake adding tar and re-grinding it.

i want a fit and forget brake setup....

You have a good point will :D I think the same too but im not clever enough to do anything about it

the sand thing sounds good. Just make sure water + sand dont get on your spokes though ;)

The sand will come off eventually and the brake pads won't last as long. I'm amazed at the number of topics on what brake pads, etc, as I never seem to have this problem. HS33's front and back, both with grinds and red pads. Work fine in the wet and the dry, the only thing being that its worth cleaning the rims if I've been out in the wet.

They hold on rails, gaps, whatever. I'm sure lots of people either have toy angle grinders or weak brake fingers. I ground a rim for a mate and it works fine when I ride his bike, but he always lands and the brake slips. I think its because when I started riding I had shite cantilever brakes, and it was a case of hold on tight or land on your arse.

As for powder coating, sounds like a bad idea. I would have thought the paint would wear away (when my tyre rubbed against my old powder coated frame it went down to the metal in seconds) and not be any more grippy than the break surface. But hey, there's nothing wrong with experimentation, so if it's not a hassle you could give it a go.

until you get a drip of water on the rim.

i think steve-a said something in the style of "water on chrome rim almost speeds the bike up when braking, it's that bad"

Which aparently goes shit in the wet too .... :P

Until you get a nanogram of water on your rim, at which point it becomes not a brake.

So, your saying it's no good in wet?

:D

Do it the JT way and only ride when it dry. :)

I have the best idea, get a D521 and some heatsink Konigs and you will have the best brake ever. Mine sure is :)

Gaz :D

and for us mod riders :)"

p.s i dont know why people are metioning grinds etc, everyone has tried a gind at one point :P

im looking for a fit and forget brake! not a, oh shit, i need to grind my rim(its a bitch to do on mods, far more easier on stock and less time consuming).

anyways, back to the topic, anyone got any suggestions? :o

Chrome does work, and it isn't as bad as peole seem to say with the wet.

My set up with a chrome rim with Plaz Spanish Fly pads is a relly nice brake I think. Its fairly suseptable to grease on the rim, so need to be carefull when handling the bike, but when the rim and pads are clean its really good.

In damp weather its even better, and if its raining lightly aslong as i drag the brake every now and then to clear the water it works fine. But once a substancial amount of water gets on the brake surface you cna forget about brakes, as people saw at the memorial ride in Abingdon.

No brakes is just a challenge :D

And yes it does feel like you speed up when its really wet as you expect to slow down but dont.

if you really wanna try it, get some ultre thin glue (prefferably both thin and super strong holding) get tiny bits of sand and tiny amounts of glass or anything else which is relatively sharp but is really small and since you dont want it to be too rough only use small amounts, put glue on rim, sprinkle the stuff onto glue, wait for it to dry, then add a coat of glue ontop of the finish and you have a long long lasting grind, if it all goes pear shaped just get the angle grinder out and grind it off, its just be like grinding your rim normally :D worth a try, i think im going to try it in the future